Chapter 28 Bound

A few weeks passed and as Clarke's scars healed, so did the city of Polis. Her 'transgression' had been forgiven and she was back to being respected and loved by the people. Due to her basic knowledge of physical therapy and Raven's suggestions, she had gained back enough feeling to walk stably without her brace.

Not only were the people of Polis enchanted with Clarke but their leader as well. Lexa had seen every side of Clarke, yet each day the blonde would surprise her in some way. One day she would be ruthless in negotiating trade deals and the next she would be teaching the children of Polis which flowers made a room smell the sweetest. Lexa would enter their bedroom that evening to find those very flowers sitting on the table.

Currently, Lexa was sparring with the Nightbloods. Clarke was watching from the shade of a nearby tree. She'd been sketching earlier but was simply relaxing now and enjoying the autumn air.

She smiled as she watched Lexa interact with the Natblidas. Back on the Ark, she'd never dreamed of having children, not wanting to doom them to a life in space. But now that she was on the ground...she had to admit that the idea was appealing.

As if whatever gods existed had sensed her train of thought, the youngest Nightblood, a toddler named Isa, came stumbling towards her. Clarke beamed and scooped the giggling child into her arms, resting her on her hip.

Isa played with Clarke's fingers and hair while she resumed watching training. Occasionally, a laugh would erupt from the bubbly little girl and an automatic smile would surface on Clarke's face.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Lexa was getting distracted, not enough to lose any of the fights, but enough that her pupils began to notice her lack of focus. They were smart enough to not to voice their thoughts, and they really did adore Clarke. The Nightbloods were just happy their Heda was happy again, the light in her eyes was righter than they'd ever seen it.

Eventually, Lexa couldn't stand it anymore. She'd received a letter in response to her request early yesterday evening. Abby Griffin had graciously agreed on behalf of Clarke's father.

Lexa paused her training and met Clarke under the tree. Clarke stood up and Aden took Isa upon Lexa's request.

"Lexa?" Clarke asked, confused. "Is everything okay?"

Lexa's smile lit up her entire face, "Yes. Everything is perfect."

It was then, in the light of the setting sun, that Heda kneeled before her beloved. The quiet gasps of the Natblidas chorused behind her. 

"Klark," she spoke thickly. "Ai hod yu in. Ai sonraun laik yu sonraun, osir keryon ste teina."

She watched as tears fell down Clarke's face, and reached forward to entwine their fingers.

"Ai badan yu op en nou moun kos hodnes laik yuj."

"Lex." Clarke choked out with a smile.

"Clarke Griffin of the Sky People, Wanheda, en ai niron, I want you to become ai houmon, my wife. Will you bind yourself to me?"

Clarke had read about Grounder marriage traditions, and she knew binding ceremonies made usual Ark marriages look like pinky promises. She also knew that Commanders rarely ever bonded.

Lexa wanted to bind their souls, their life forces, for this lifetime and all others.

She nodded, wiping her tears, "Of course. Yes, yes, always."

The Nightbloods clapped and cheered as Lexa stood and lifted Clarke by the waist, spinning her around as she laughed together. Once she was back on the ground, Clarke pulled Lexa closer for a long, sweet kiss.

"I love you."

"And I love you."