It would hurt too much...

"well monk this is my bike..." i start 

"WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN ITS YOUR BIKE!!" Monk shouts.  I start giggling to myself, he is so pissed LOL. "do you have any idea how dangerous these are??? obviously not otherwise you wouldn't be driving one!..."

"monk." he stops mid rant and looks at me 

"calm down" the stare Monk gave me - it could be even  better than Naru's - no joke i never knew Monk had it in him to stare at me like that. 

"Don't you DARE tell me to calm down!" Monk shouts. I push past him and the rest of the crew to head inside - not wanting to do this outside. "DON'T YOU WALK AWAY FROM US!!"

As i reach base i casually sit on the sofa awaiting the pile of shit that is about to be handed to me. "Mai can you explain to us why you walked out of hospital" Akayo asks - obviously quite distressed 

"because i wanted to go home" i reply as if that the dumbest question ever no shit i walked out because i didn't like the decor inside. "next question" 

"you said you have a deal with the hospital what is it?" Naru asks 

"Pass - next question"  

"MAI you can't just do that this isn't a game show or something"

"it could be, i mean this is so funny i bet we would make millions." i remark. 

"Mai..."

"next question please" 

"what is the full extent of your power?" i hear yasu ask from my left.

i sigh "i thought you already asked this?" 

"ok let me re-phrase: what powers do you posses?" 

"thats tricky..." i start thinking when i hear a snort 

"and why is that tricky" i hear Masako snicker that bitch 

"because i am constantly finding new abilities i posses like: i can rarely see the future - but thats only ever happened once" i hear john choke on his water at this...

"i can astral project - but you already knew that..." i see everyone nod their heads 

"oh yeah..." i smirk to myself " i can read minds" everyone stares at me in horror. I start to nod my head in a smug way "oh yeah i have heard everything. It can be quite amusing actually." 

"how many times have you listened to our thoughts??" John yasu asks 

"only the once" every breaths a sigh of relief 

"don't worry thats almost like a switch..." i see lin leaning his elbows onto his legs, obviously intrigued "...i don't go walking around and hearing stuff, if i want to hear peoples thoughts i can if i don't i can choose not to." however everyone still looks on edge. 

"but if you give me a week i can make you some charms that will prevent me from hearing your thoughts - ever?" everyone seems happy at this revelation 

"any other abilities you now posses mai?" Naru asks 

"i can heal people - but you've seen that.... oh and i have PK but you've seen that too. So far thats it. Any other questions??" 

"why did you save me" Monk mutters. 

i freeze.

 i turn to stare at Monk. He's been quite all this time and tentatively listening just standing in the dark. Just looking at him i can tell that he is upset about what happened. he probably blames himself. 

i go and stand next to him, putting my hand on his shoulder and i stare him directly in the eye. 

"i watched my mum as she broke down over my dads death. I visit my dad's grave stone every-year as well as my mums. I held my mum's hand as she died." i take a deep shake breath "I am not going to do that again" i hear Akayo gasp. I look around talking to everyone. 

"i have enough graves to visit, i have held enough people through suffering and i've seen enough death to last me a life time," i start to tear up, but i won't let them fall

 "...but i am not going to let that happen again. I would rather i die in your place then you die in mine. i wouldn't be able to say goodbye to someone else again. it would hurt too much. my mum used to tell me: "i stare at Naru matching his gaze: 

"'those who are left carry the memories and hopes of whom they have lost.'

I have done this for my parents since they have died. And i know that if i were to die that you would all carry my memories and hopes proudly - even though you did forget me once - i know that you wouldn't forget me again." 

i turn back to monk 

" I can't change the past, but i can change the future."

i turn my back to everyone and walk out of the room to get some sleep - leaving a gobsmacked Monk and a deep-in-thought Naru.