Finding her

Naru's POV

I have done many things in my time - I finished school at 14 - graudated university by 19 and became a professor at Cambridge by 21 - not to mention my use of PK. However, in all this time I have never ran so fast nor worked so hard to find something or someone... not even Gene.

I can't believe how ridiculous I have been and how stupid and ignorant and selfish i've been to Mai. Truth be told i thought i was helping her by ignoring her. I thought she hated me, that after what she went through she would never want to talk to me - i would blame me after something like that. But stupid- stupid ignorant know-it-all Naru got it wrong again. 

I stop sprinting when i arrive to her apartment. My chest heaving trying to grab what oxygen it can. Straightening up I compose myself take in a deep breath and knock on the door. 

No answer.

I bang louder.

No answer.

Constantly knocking and banging the door I begin to grow anxious. 

Using my strength (and some PK) i knock down the door to be greeted by an empty room. Everything in the room has gone.

No photos

No furniture

No chairs

nothing. 

"mai?" i start rushing around the room looking for any sign of life. 

"Mai where are you?"

grabbing my phone i call her mobile... ring....ring...

nothing. 

again 

again 

again

and still no answer. 

i collapse to the ground. Putting my head in my hand I try to calm my thoughts, try to think carefully and rationally - be the Naru who would think everything through and work out the answer. But i can't. It's almost like i have a mental block in my head preventing me from thinking clearly. 

Grabbing my phone i call Lin: "Lin call the team tell them that Mai's gone and we need to find her."

Without waiting for a response i end the call, pick myself up and head back to SPR. 

When I arrive to SPR the gang are already there waiting. John pacing the room - Yasu on his computer - Akayo biting her nails furiously - Bousan sitting down in deep concentration bouncing his knee up and down and Masako is no where to be seen (big surprise) 

I cough and everyone's head snaps to me and without anyone saying anything everyone's attention is focused and ready for action. 

"What's happening Naru - what do you mean Mai's gone?" Monk asks standing up. 

I walk towards him whilst grabbing Mai's resignation letter. Monk begins to read it and his fists begin to ball and eyes slightly water as he understands. 

"what is that?" Akayo asks.

"Mai's resignation letter" i reply as flatly as i could. 

"WHAT!" suddenly Akayo, John, Lin and John leap to Monk and begin reading over his soldier. 

After giving them a minuet i speak "clearly we need to go after her - we're not going to let Mai go again" everyone nods in agreement. 

"have you checked her apartment?" Yasu asks

"yes everything's gone" 

"...shit" I hear Akayo grumble. 

"does anyone know where she might go?" everyone looks around hoping that someone has the answer. 

"no..." we all turn to see Masako walk in "but i do know who she might go to."

That brings us to our current location. 

We stand outside the tea Café that is opposite Mai's apartment block. In front of us is Casey who is currently reading the letter. When he has finished he just shakes his head from side to side muttering things like 'idiots' 'stupid boy'. 

"Well?" Akayo asks impatiently. 

"I know where she has gone" we all breath a visible sigh of relief "but i'm not going to tell you where. Even if i did you wouldn't be able to get there." He says smugly and everyone starts to get irritated and upset with him as soon as I'm about to reach my braking point my phone rings. 

Looking at the number I see its Mai!??

"hello?"

"Hi Naru" 

"mai where are you?" i hear a sigh on the other side of the line

"You don't need to know that Naru"

i grit my teeth "the hell i do! i need to know where you are Mai so that i can come and get you!" 

i hear a light laugh "Naru you had your chance... you left me once and I was fine and i'm sure if i leave you you will be alright to -"

"but Mai - "

"naru I love you. I really do. I still do and i always will do. That is why I have to do this Naru. That is why i have to leave. Because where I go danger follows and i refuse to put you or my friends in any sort of danger. I know this hurts and i'm sorry for hurting you Naru really I am.... one day we will see eachother again. Tell the others to expect a letter to come to them in one week -" 

my eyes begin to tear up 

"mai please - i am begging you -" i can almost feel her sad smile 

"don't beg Naru its not like you. I love you Naru and i'll make sure we see eachother again. But let me go. If you love something set if free and if it comes back then its yours - i will come back Naru but i need to do this for you and for me." i hear her sniffle and i know she's crying too. 

"Mai please - "

"shhh don't Naru" i close my eyes 

"i'll let you go Mai - i love you"

i hear a small gasp and a pause over the phone: "i'll come back to you Naru. Love you more."

and i smile sadly: "not possible" 

with that i hear a small laugh and the empty hollow sound of a dead line. She hung up.

With  my heart in my hands i stand up - get my jacket and walk outside. 

Looking up to the sky i see its begun to rain.

Closing my eyes i look up and let the water fall onto my face, hiding my tears - but i smile because i know that in time my mai will come back to me. I just need to wait.