pastpresentfuture

( i. past )
someone asked me what love was, i cried as i replied,
'love was a notion, dare i say it, a mere fantasy, of kisses on the first date and hollywood films and weddings in white and lace, blood-stained births exactly nine months later, filled with the cries of the lovers' new love, love was songs and serenades and sonnets, deep red dresses and bouquets of roses, shared food and smiles shared as if they had a secret, love was starlight in her eyes and poetry in his words, a cigarette hanging from his lips and girlish giggles hanging from hers. love was- now, this sounds cynical of me- love was unattainable, impossible, practically nonexistent.'

( ii. present )
someone asked me what love is, i smiled and said,
'love is the excitement of adventure, the burst of surprised laughter at something someone's said, it's being able to make someone smile at a stupid joke, it's the rattle of change into a begging cup, it's the happiness in someone's eyes as you help them with something they can't do, it's the cry of a newborn baby, or the first time your child calls you mummy or daddy, rather than just 'the person who adopted me', it's the light flickering in that girl's eyes as she teases that boy, who teases her right back, love is singing until your lungs give out, love is being yourself, love is realising that for once, you are truly happy, love is all encompassing, it's in every action of every person on this planet. love is simply kindness, happiness.'

( iii. future )
someone asked me what love will be, i laughed and told them,
'love will be kisses and long speeches about their eyes, it will be sweaty palms pressed together, it will be walking somewhere with them just because you can, it will be teasing, laughter, it will be falling asleep next to them, your legs entangled and your hearts beating as one, but it will also be arguments and threats and tears and breaks and sweat, but love will pull itself back together, again and again and again, sorries and stitches and mends to breaks, love will be conversations at one am and singing at the top of your lungs, love will make you want to shout from the roof about your love, love will make you so unbelievably happy. unfortunately, love isn't that yet. but it will be, i promise.'