orlando shooting

you actually don't understand how fucking angry i am! for the purpose of my argument, i'm going to try to keep a calm head.

for those of you who don't know what's going on, recently at a gay club in orlando, florida, fifty people where shot and killed, and fifty three others were injured.

this shooting was the biggest shooting (in terms of casualties) in america ever. yes, this is a fact.

this one event has effected at least 500 people, assuming each of the people who died had ten people who cared for them.

there may well be more casualties, as 53 people where injured, and there are complications surrounding blood donations to and from people who are LGBTQ+, due to the increased risk of AIDS.

firstly, this was a hate crime! the shooter targeted a gay bar, and only a gay bar. the shooter's father was interviewed, and apparently his son was angry after seeing two men kiss. he was targeting people who were LGBTQ+!

however, the shooter's homophobia was not entirely to blame. he had access to a gun, which was because of america's (stupid) gun laws. this the american government's fault too!!!!

under the american constitution, citizens have 'the right to bear arms', although they do have to go through at least some tests and assessments, that clearly aren't thorough enough. if someone who is likely mentally unstable and hateful is able to possess a gun, the tests and regulations may as well not be there.

the main argument for guns being allowed is self defence, but if no one has access to guns, then the need for self defence is much, much lower.

just recently, christina grimmie was shot at a meet and greet in florida, a few years ago, 20 children and six adults were shot at an american elementary school, 33 people were shot and died at virginia tech university in 2007, in 1984, 21 people were shot and killed in a mcdonald's, as early as 1949, someone walked along a road and shot and killed 13 people. THIS PROBLEM IS ONGOING, THIS PROBLEM HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR OVER SIXTY YEARS.

this is a more minor problem, but there are several youtubers and singers currently touring america, and many of their fans are warning them to be careful and stay safe, as christina grimmie, a youtuber and singer was shot at a meet and greet. #staysafe

in conclusion, the american gun laws need to change. they either need to become much much tighter, or, ideally, guns should be banned altogether, including not allowing the police to have access.

please, please, if you're in florida in particular, be careful. thank you. #staysafe