Music to my ears

Simon always loved pianos. From the way they looked, so the beautiful sound they made. He had always wanted to learn how to play but when he started playing the guitar there was just no time to learn.

Now that he was a vampire though he had all the time in the world. He knew there was a piano somewhere in Hotel DuMort because occasionally he could hear someone playing it. He didn't know who though.

So one night when he heard the blissful music he decided to follow the sounds. And sure enough a piano came into sight. However what shocked him was who was sat at the piano. 'Raphael?' Simon all but asks, coming to a stop at the door of the room. The playing stopped and Raphael looked up at Simon, glaring. 'What? Surprised to see me playing?' He asked in a harsh tone. He slammed the lid of the piano down and got up, starting to leave the room. Simon however closed the door and stood in the way, to make sure Raphael couldn't leave.

'Well, yeah. I didn't know you could play. So of course I'm shocked' Simon says chuckling. 'Whatever. Move so that I can get out.' Raphael says his tone still as sharp as before.

'No. Not until you teach me how to play.' Crossing his arms over his chest, Simon was shocked as to where this new found confidence had come from, apparently so was Raphael as he just stared back at Simon confused. 'Sorry? What?' Raphael says dumbfounded. 'I want you to teach me how to play the piano.' Simon repeats. 'Dios, I'm not even that good Simon.' Raphael says looking bored. 'Not from what I just witnessed. Please Raph' Simon pleads staring intently into Raphael's eyes, and if Simons heart fluttered then no one needed to know that apart from him. 'Fine' Raphael grumbled heading over to the piano taking a seat on half of the stool, leaving the other half for Simon to sit on.

Neither of them would admit to the way their bodies tingled at each other's touch. 'Right, you know the basics of the piano right?' Raphael says turning to Simon unaware of their closeness. 'Of course.' 'Right, so you know which keys are which?' Raphael asks looking back towards the piano. 'Kind of...but not entirely.' Simon's eyebrows knit together as he tries to recollect where each note is. Raphael mutters something before leaving and returning within a minute. 'A whiteboard pen?' Simon asks in confusion.

'In my school we had the letter for each note. it was to help us remember where each key was.' Raphael says as he starts writing the letters on. 'Now, any particular song you'd like to learn?' He asks finishing off the last few notes. He was leaning across Simon's body in an uncomfortable way but neither of them minded. '"The river flows in you", I'm not sure who it's by but I love the song.' Simon admits playing with his hands in his lap.

'Ah, one of the songs I know off by heart' Raphael chuckles, and honestly? To Simon it was just as beautiful as the sound of a piano. Raphael plays a bit of the song and then takes Simon's hands in his placing his hands of the keys. Despite Raphael getting frustrated with Simon's vampire training he didn't mind when Simon got notes wrong. He'd simply chuckled and tell him to start again.

After messing up too many times Simon got frustrated and started to leave. 'I give up, I can't play the piano.' Just as his hand landed on the door handle Raphael was in front of the door taking Simon's hand off the handle. 'Don't give up, you'll have me thinking I fell for a quitter' Raphael whispered, his hand still in Simon's. Simon stood frozen, his eyes searching Raphael's for any signs that he's lying but to no avail he couldn't find any. He just found utter truth laying behind each word he had said. 'Besides, we have all the time in the world.' Raphael finishes off, his voice soft and calming. He pulls on Simons hand and takes him back over to the piano. 'Okay, but only because I like this side to you.' Simon defeats. Raphael chuckles once again and takes a seat beside Simon.

Simon finally learns to play the piano and when he's mastered the song Raphael kisses him as a reward, and also because how could he resist when Simon looks so good sat by a piano.

And if it's the same piano that is played at their wedding then no one needs to know that. All they need to know is that it's an instrument, not something so much more significant to the couple.