Dayz - Boot camp

I woke up in a mist with dripping wet military uniform and lying face down on a beach where grass grew wildly, the wave kept pushing me ashore while simultaneously dragging me down. I rolled over facing the murky sky, then stood checking equipment I have: three pack of .45 ammunition were clipped around my waist and a .45 semi-automatic pistol held in the holster. I was carrying a black and sandy camo backpack, I went through the items and found three can of beans and a can of soda, a pack of six bandages plus an adrenaline shot syringe, a compass and a pair of sunglasses.

       In distant the thunder groaned, the rain was getting heavier. I should make haste to some cover before the storm hit. I zipped the bag and ran toward the inner land searching for cover.

       Going deeper, I faced the mountain half covered in cloud, making it difficult to estimate its height. Behind me was the ocean in roar. I could go anywhere but near the water.

        I ventured into the forest with each step taking more energy under the rainfall, it felt like carrying a load of stones instead of supplies that weighted less than comfortable, especially when walking in these wildly grown plants which I had to shove aside every time I progressed forward.

       After 7 miles of hiking, I spotted a one-story farm house uphill across the seemingly abandoned crop field a klick away. I went around the area for a quick scout and found no one in sight. I sprinted near the structure, crouched at about 10 meters away under a cart full of damp hay for cover. I listened and surveyed the site and looked like it had been unattended for quite a while. I could smell a rotten and disgusting stench even though the rain was falling. Dead bodies on the field resembled the shape of farm animals were decomposing, showing bite marks and trails of being feasted on. Some were showing bones, others were missing bones. Torn off by extreme force? What kind of beast this place have certainly terrified me.

       I walked up to the house and tried the doorknob and to my expectation, it was unlocked and the room was deserted. I locked the door and threw my bag at the corner. The sleeping room was small, a bed and a drawer at the inner left corner, to my right was the writing desk, and a few cabinets to my left.

       I lit a candle found in one of the cabinets and lowered the blinder on the only window in the room which faced south and aligned with the door. I found some food and things that might be useful: sodas, bottle of Aspirin with not much left, a flashlight with two batteries, two lighters and a binocular. I moved on to the drawer and to my surprise, the previous owner have left a pack of ammunition but no match to my weapon, still, I took it and clipped it because you will never know when it might become useful.

       Going through the drawer, I also found clothing that matched my size. I soon stripped off the military and soak up the rain with a dry shirt then put on the civilian. I hung the soaking wet uniform on the wire overhead hoping they would be dried off by tomorrow.

       I leaned back on the chair from the desk, picking up the papers sheet by sheet. It was about a contagious disease spreading around town and suggested the receivers to evacuate from it. A black and white family photo tainted with yellow was stapled on a letter - a family of four, father and mother both holding their children not older than 5. I gently stroked across the photo, wishing them well.