Hike and Days

Dawn crept up on us with its warm light caressing our skin through the tent. It was quiet outside, birds and wind were pulling off the nature's orchestra. Comforting as it was sitting in the tent, I woke Sam and Daisy to welcome the arrival of a brand new day with a little tickle on them.

       'Time to wake up kids, no time to waste.'

       Both shoved me off and let out a groan, and rubbed their eyes when sitting up.

       'Morning daddy,' Daisy said, 'Morning dad.' Sam said.

       'Morning, kids.' I replied, kissing them in the forehead, 'How's sleep? Still having the bad dream Day?' I asked.

       'Uh-uh, sleep very well sir.' Daisy said. 'Me too.' Sam said.

       'That's good. So, how about we get freshen up and pack our things for the next meeting point where your mother is?'

       'Okay.' They said.

       I took out the bag containing our morning kits: Toothbrushes, cups, towels in blue and red for Sam and Daisy, green for me. I slid open the tent and let the two went out, and gave them some water and the kit, they split up in different way and started brushing, I could hear them giggling at other's foamed mouth.

       The sun was coming up fast, by the time we have finished packing our tent, it was beaming at us with its furious flame. Sam put on his favorite baseball cap while Daisy made up her hair for the white round hat with flowery pattern. They grabbed their tiny bags and we started walking to the end point. We came across a trail where big tree grown, making it easier, cooler to start the day with a steady pace. The road followed were mostly dirt, or rocky path, I have to stand close to the kids, sometime holding their hands when stepping forward to protect they from falling. 

       By eleven, close to noon, we were roasted under direct sun glare. We rested under a tree not far way in the shape of an rabbit with all its leaf siding left because of the wind, and we drank some water and ate some honey-flavored bread. After that, Sam performed an improvised but unsuccessful tree climbing, leaving Daisy stood there in frustration. She yelled at his stupid bravery and I listened how she thought Sam would hurt himself and be at the hospital with all his friends crying around his bed.

       The heat flushed their faces. Weather was still hot although it was close to Autumn. They were both happy, lively and energetic. I wish I could have more time for them.

       Rested and feasted, we continued our hike.

       The moment they saw their mother's parked vehicle in sight  they were already yelling and hopping back at the hill's top. The journey was about to end.

       When we finally reached the parked Polo, their mom were not sitting in the car. The kids were worried, saying something about the mythical Bigfoot roaming in the area taking people. I dialed her number but it rang inside the car. She must have left it in a hurry. Where would she be when she knows her kids were coming?

       I unlocked the car with the spare key, letting the kids inside to cool themselves with the air-conditioner. I walked around the place, searching for her while leaving the kids alone in the car. They are smart kids, they know what they have to do if anyone came around the car.

       I called for her several times around the parking lot. It was quiet. My voice echoed. Bounced. 

       'Here!'