Snow Business

The snowstorm hit Sweden right in the gut, the major roads and streets were closed due to low visibility as well as the thick stack of snow. The whole country frozen in an icy state, everything were covered under the snow. How lucky people could stay near a fireplace and enjoyed some time alone or with the family. For those who were on the street, the local prepared some place for them, either a school gym or a community hall, everybody's safe. The time slowed down in the country while the storm continued its course.

       Shawn and Karen didn't know the weather could go so badly in a matter of days. They stayed in a small wood cabin in the hill with no contact with the outside world, no weather report either. The plan was to live in the wild for half a year as a vacation of another kind. The time was almost up, they were prepared to leave but as the storm hit, they were grounded until it cleared. Though the logs for fire were rich, the room was crowd, with animals.

       The couple had been taming wild animals in the woods, mostly just hares and squirrels, and a few young wolves in a separate room. They were trained specialists in the field and they treated the animals well. These animal would have a hard time surviving out there by themselves, lucky they were here in a controlled environment.

       At night the wolves howled as chilling as the snow, when the hares and squirrels were curling up at asleep. 

       The tough part of the storm past in a week's time. The white woods looked bright and clean. As the couple headed back to home, the animals were released one by one. First the hares, then the squirrels, and last the wolves. They jumped and ran away while only the wolves lingered after the human. Their steps muffled by the snowy ground, their groans blew away by the wind. Shawn threw away the remaining meats for them, they feasted on it, and that's the last time the couple saw the wolves.

       The wolves returned to their lair, not thinking about the human, not caring about the human. Some of their companions were froze to death, they howled for them, the sound echoed throughout the woods.

       At the facility Shawn and Karen worked at, they requested for a research on the wolves to find out if these animals were like dogs that are loyal and attentive to the human. The result were fascinating, wolves are one of a kind and behaved differently from dogs, they don't feel us human like dogs, they are self-aware and not easily provoked.

Other Writings When I Am Not Drafting The Sci-Fi Universeजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें