Boating

“Hey what’s your name skater?” Ash asked.

“The name is Pete,” He said. “You?”

“Ash.” She said, looking around.

They sat quietly in the wooden boat that floated on the center of the blue lake while others hurried past them. The waves hit the boat on the sides and it started to shake left and right like a drunkard, the paddles beat on the boat created a relaxing rhythm.

“How old are you?” Pete asked.

“Seventeen.” She said. “You?”

“Same.” He said.

The sunlight pierced the surface and reached the bottom, the water was so clear they could see fishes swimming and plants swaying. Everything there seemed shiny and golden, ocean blue and forest green.

“Is that comfortable at all?” Ash pointed at Pete’s awkwardly tight life vest.

“I don’t wanna drown when it went down.” He said. “Why aren't you wearing one?”

“Eh, ‘cuz I know how to swim?” Ash replied. “Do you not?”

He looked backward, evaded the question and started paddling the boat toward the shore.

Slowly the steady movement gained momentum and they were welcomed by a breeze, she leaned to the side and bent low and sliced the water with her hand and splashed some forward. She could see clearly a small group of fish was trailing behind, swimming in that cute motion. She made out some bread crumbles from her bag and fed them, how hungry they must be that it stirred the surface and rippled the water. 

Later they landed on the sandy beach and walked on the warm surface, and dragged the boat to the land together by a rope and secured it on a rusty metal rod stuck deep into the ground.

“Thanks for coming out today, Pete.” She said, smiling.

“Just doing my brother a favor.” Peter answered while rubbing his hand in the water.

“Let your brother know I had a good time today, okay?” She said.

“Sure” He said.

“And tell him not to worry, he had already made up to me by sending you.” She added. “You were good company, except you don’t know how to swim.”

He blushed.

“Your brother know how to swim, then? God, I didn’t even ask him once.” Ash said to herself.

“We are brothers, so I guess it’s pretty obvious, right?” Pete said.

“No way! I thought -” Ash gasped, and it turned into an smirk, then a laugh with tears streamed down her cheeks.

Pete didn’t know what to say so he gave her his napkin.

“Oh, you guys are so cute.” she said, sobbing and laughing. 

Back home, Pete sat next to his brother on the sick bed. He told him what happened and what she said. His brother were stunned to hear how she reacted, and how stupid Pete told her, or hinted.