Fierce Fight

"Blood boiled fight started in the living room, and then the two struggled to the kitchen and Mr. Franklin the victim grabbed the sharp knife hung on the rack while he was pressed down toward the drain and took a stab on our John Doe here. The penetration caused internal bleeding in the gut, so to speak, and he died of excessive bleeding according to the preliminary report from Lauren. The time of death estimated to be around 8 to 9 PM, matching what Mr. Franklin had described. He said he called in as soon as the guy went down. Would you like to talk to Mr. Franklin or would you like to walk around the scene, or check the body?" Betty finished her report to Detective Steve in an automated tone. They stood outside the house, it was a quiet block, nothing stirred in the air. 

       "I'd like to see our John Doe first." Steve ducked past the tape and went inside. A man around his 40s was lying dead in a suit on a pool of blood with a knife planted at his belly. He was intrigued by the fullness of the guy's facial hair, wildly grown in dirty yellow. Steve rubbed his skinhead in a backward motion and scratched his beard stub.

       Mr. Franklin greeted Steve when he went by the ambulance, he seemed fine except a bruised eye and a cranked nose.

       "Hi, I am detective Steve Baldwin from NYPD and in charge of this investigation, I am going to ask you a few questions about things happened tonight, is that good with you?"

       "Yeah."

       "So, do you know the man that attacked you? Did you meet him somewhere? What happened."

       "No, I don't know that guy, he just jumped on me when I unlocked the door. It was dark inside the house so I didn't have a good look at him. He choked and beat on me, I fought back and we both choked each other. He let go and I stumbled into the kitchen. He then rushed toward me and pinned my head down to the drain, but I kept my head straight and pulled a knife and took a stab at him. I don't know what else I could have done. My life was on the line, too."

       "Did you notice anything suspicious before entering the house? Was there any car parked nearby that shouldn't be. Are you in conflict with anyone? Can you think of anyone that wanted to hurt you? Did you owe someone money?" Steve fastened his speech as he thought about the possibilities out there.

       Mr. Franklin touched his chin and came up with nothing interesting.

       The paramedic dropped their conversation and sped away to the hospital while Steve continued examining the scene of crime.