Chapter 2

A.N. Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome I received after the first chapter! R&R.

Meredith's eyes roamed over the heads of her new staff as she replaced Dr. Webber behind the rostrum. Her levels of adrenaline were rising. She was facing her challenge and she felt wonderful, she loved challenges.

"Oh God," breathed Cristina. "Doctor Model! They must be kidding us!"

"Looks very competent to me," chuckled Mark, not taking his eyes off Meredith and her perfectly styled hair.

When she opened her lips to speak, the tone of her voice surprised them no less than her physique. It was firm, uncompromising and probably lethal to anyone who would dare to raise an objection.

Meredith's speech didn't take long, she limited herself to the absolute essentials.

"Thank you for the introduction, Dr. Webber. Ladies and gentlemen, surgeons of this hospital, it is with a great satisfaction that I take up the function of Chief of Surgery at Seattle Grace. I am aware that this hospital enjoys a considerable repute. However, there is no doubt in my mind that we can find room for improvement. I'll acquaint you with my plan of development at the end of the week when I have got myself acquainted with the local rhythm of work.

"So as not to prolong our meeting unnecessarily," she added, "I expect every head of department to hand a detailed report by the end of the day. Thank you for your attention."

Then there was time for the chairman of the board to say a few words and after a short while the meeting came to an end.

"Did you just hear that?" asked Cristina contemptuously. "She's already bossing us around."

If Derek wasn't in shock before, he certainly was now. He couldn't believe his eyes. He lost to a girl that couldn't possibly have any experience. What was Webber thinking? Was he thinking at all?"

He got to his feet along with everyone in the auditorium. Report, he snorted inwardly, no way I'm going to report to her. It was high time Webber explained himself. Derek's eyes sought the Chief's graying head. He hurried towards the door where Richard was engrossed in conversation with Doctor Grey.

"Shep," he was greeted by Webber. "Meet your new Chief, Dr. Meredith Grey, an excellent neurosurgeon, just like you. Meredith, that's Derek Shepherd I've told you about, our head of neurosurgical department."

"It's nice to meet you," said Meredith, taking in the sight before her.

"It's nice to meet you, too, Dr. Grey," was his polite answer.

Meredith tried to keep her composure while the thoughts in her head were swirling at the top speed. He was hot; no, actually, he was sex on legs.

When their hands met in a firm shake, Meredith felt an electric charge running through her body. Strong, decisive hands... I'm sure he can do wonders with them, not only while cutting a brain...

"Meredith, could you excuse us for a second and wait for me in my-" Richard smiled nostalgically, "your office? I need to exchange a few words with Dr. Shepherd but I'll be right back with you."

Very reluctantly, Meredith nodded and departed. She would rather stay to admire the blue-eyed doctor...

You shouldn't think that way about your subordinates! Subordinates...

With a smile plastered on her face, she entered her new office and looked around. It was all hers now! She took off her jacket and put on the lab coat with her name and position that was waiting for her, folded on the desk. It was weird how it all fell into place when she wore it, a simple piece of work clothing. M.D Meredith Grey Chief of Surgery...