Chapter 26

Meredith drove her silver Porsche like mad. It was an ordinary day, quiet day at work. Why would she be in such a hurry? Yet, she was. She couldn't get to the trailer fast enough. It was absolutely imperative to get back. Come to think of it... she didn't have the faintest idea why she needed to be at the trailer. But an inner force pushed her forward... Wait! She was driving a car? Since when did she have a driving license?

There was no time to ponder this, she ran up to the trailer and wrenched the door open. Her eyes immediately fell upon a pair of legs lying motionlessly on the floor. She lunged herself forward, cold fear gripping her chest... An ear-splitting shriek escaped her throat. No! Tears streamed down her cheeks as she sank to her knees. This could not be happening! It was the one person in the world who cared for her... Her entire form shivered uncontrollably. She wanted to help, to save him... but she knew it was for nothing. His brown bloodshot eyes were opened wide, as though in gentle astonishment. A used syringe was lying beside him on the floor. A cord was tied up tightly around his skinny bicep... The pale skin around the veins was scattered with multiple traces of injections.

She couldn't bring herself to touch him... she just held her numbed hands before herself. She couldn't touch him... but she was certain he was cold... just like that patient who died during her mother's surgery.

Meredith sobbed; where she was going to go now? All by herself? Her eyes moved reverently over his body, his handsome face covered with heavy stubble... the careless smirk he always wore... his brown longish hair that begged to be trimmed. Chace... the only person that didn't seek escape from her presence. She'd say him one last goodbye. She lowered her lips to his, like she expected... ice cold... She lifted her head slowly and opened her eyes. Something changed...

His body was bigger, more muscular. It swelled like a inflatable doll. The stubble darkened. A bump grew on his nose. His hair thickened and blackened, his perfect hair... His lips were now stretched in a gentle good-natured smile. Only his eyes were as wide as before, though baby blue.

Meredith's heart stopped beating, it must have stopped beating. It wasn't possible to survive the pain as excruciating as it was now. Her heart must have stopped functioning for her face froze in a tormented grimace, a pained scream died on her lips... Derek... the only man that truly loved her...

However, her heart ruthlessly resumed its pace and liberated the piercing cry that ripped the surroundings and reverberated outside.

"Derek!" she sobbed and heaved herself to a sitting position, bringing her wet face to her knees and covering her head with her arms. She couldn't catch her breath, held hostage by cold fear. Something was different yet again... She wasn't on the floor, she was somewhere soft, and seconds ago it was warm. She cautiously peeked around her. She was indeed in a trailer, only it was Derek's trailer.

It meant... that was just a bad dream, a nightmare. But it felt so real. Still affected by her vision, she scanned the floor half-expecting to see Derek's lifeless body. She breathed out shakily, combing her fingers through her hair. No, he wasn't there but... he wasn't in the bed either. A flutter of inquietude made her stomach churn but then she had to laugh at her stupidity. He had probably sneaked out to catch their breakfast. A tired giggle escaped her throat, Derek, her own private hunter.

She heard thunderous footsteps on the deck and the door was yanked open impetuously. Derek ran in, in full fishing gear, immediately assessing the situation, anxiety written across his face.

"Meredith?" he asked out of breath, with worry apparent in his voice. "Did you... did you scream?"

"I'm sorry," she sighed waving her hand, "I've had a nightmare..."