Chapter 36

Meredith squashed an empty coffee cup and threw it into the bin, entering the crowded lobby. She stifled a chuckle at the sight before her, halting behind a huddled mass of her subordinates. They were strangely resembling a group of kids, joking, laughing, standing up on their tiptoes for a better look at the computer screen. Meredith knew well enough what was the reason for that. She took a nervous glance at the clock as it struck the full hour. The rankings for the past year should have just been announced, determining her fate. They basically constituted her be or not to be at this hospital and she awaited them with both dread and hope.

An intense sadness crept up on her heart at the prospect of leaving Seattle. Her journey here irrevocably changed her life in the ways she had not foreseen. It made her richer in experiences, both good and bad. It made her discover love in its full; she believed her stay here made her a better person.

However, she could not stay here much longer. Being close to Derek, yet not fully, brought an excruciating pain. Especially so, as he completely abandoned the avoidance tactics he had taken up after she openly rejected him on Christmas. Meredith suspected the intensified attempts on his part were all Addison's doing. She undoubtedly spilled the beans about her secret feelings, not only to Derek as it would seem. The hospital community was much gentler in her regard, sometimes openly playing matchmaker to her and Derek. She would find it hilarious if it wasn't so painful.

Though it could all end in the next few minutes. She held strong suspicions the results would set her free.

"Back up!" Bailey's annoyed voice sounded over the heads.

"I'm trying to see!" Meredith recognized Derek's whining voice.

"It's not up yet!" bit back Miranda who was sitting in front of the computer, getting irritated by the swarming around her. "There's nothing see!"

"It's supposed to be posted at four!" reminded impatiently Cristina.

"It's 4.15," muttered Mark.

Apparently, Seattle Gracers revived their competitive streak. For the past week, Meredith watched with her eyebrows raised in surprise how they doubled their efforts, worked longer hours, had more pro bono surgeries than in the past months put together; all in all, their behavior was spotless.

"Hit the refresh button," suggested Cristina. "You have to reload the page."

Miranda slapped her hand and replied irritably, "I'm hitting the refresh button every ten seconds. Let's just... wait."

"Is it up yet?"

"No!"

"Is it up yet?" another voice asked.

"No! Wait!"

"Think we move up a slot," offered Mark to fill the moment. "Pass Hopkins, move to number one."

"We're not passing Hopkins," Derek shook his head. "But we're moving up to two." At least he hoped so. He didn't hold such demanding wishes as to automatically jump on the top of the list. Just one place higher would suffice to keep Meredith in Seattle.

"Mayo could fight kicking and screaming to stay where they are," remarked Cristina. "We'd stay three."

"Three? Pessimist..." sighed Derek resignedly.

"Realist," argued Cristina. "The rankings of teaching hospitals change based on any number of things. So if there's a tie... Say we're three again, does anyone know what she's-"

Izzie elbowed her gently clearing her throat, trying to silently convey that the Chief was with them.

"Could you all make some space for Dr. Grey to come and see the results herself?" asked Miranda turning back and looking at her through a gap in the crowd.