Chapter 37

Meredith silently willed all thoughts of Derek disappear out of her head. His little speech in the car park was reigniting hope in her heart, which she couldn't allow to happen. She couldn't let her newly established philosophy to crumble. She had to leave before she managed to hurt Derek again. Thankfully, she was about to do something that could cement her resolution. She just wouldn't be able to stay in Seattle afterwards.

Soon after she rang the doorbell, she was greeted by a visibly surprised but smiling Susan.

"Meredith! What a surprise!"

Apparently, Lexie didn't mention anything to her parents. That was kind of nice of her, giving her the chance to change her mind without unnecessary fuss. "I hope... I'm not interrupting," Meredith said politely.

"Of course you're not interrupting," Susan shook her head and stepped aside to let her guest in. "Come in, come in. You've come just in time, we're making dinner."

"Oh, I won't stay that long. It will take just a couple of minutes."

She followed Susan into the kitchen where her father was stirring the contents of a pot on fire.

"Thatch, give me this," told him Susan taking away the spoon. "We have a guest, you have a guest."

He turned around, wiping his hands over his sweater and his eyes widened in shock at the sight of his oldest daughter.

"Mer... Meredith," he stammered, making a few awkward steps towards her. "I'm so sor-"

"You don't have to talk," she cut him simply. "I came here but not because I want to hear you talk. I came because I want to talk. Last time, last time I said some things. I said what I felt, what I still feel."

Thatcher looked like he was ready to speak but she didn't let him. "However, I am leaving Seattle... in a couple of days. For all I know, I'm not coming back, ever. That's why I don't want to leave unfinished business of any kind behind me. I need closure to certain chapters of my life."

She was met with a moment of stunned silence and then...

"You're leaving?" asked Susan disbelievingly. "What about your job?"

"I'm stepping down," nodded Meredith.

"Why? Has something happened? Is there something wrong with the hospital?"

"No, the hospital has never been better."

"And that doctor... Your... boyfriend?" asked shyly Thatcher.

"I don't have a boyfriend," she answered automatically. "Look, it doesn't matter why I'm moving."

"Meredith, if it's for personal reasons," he cleared his throat. "Don't... don't run away. Don't make the same mistake your mother-"

"That's a bit rich coming from you!" she snapped. "I've never seen you coming for me, I haven't discovered a drawer of unopened cards!"

Thatcher nodded sadly, "I meant to say the mistake your mother and I made."

"Let's not talk about this," stopped him Meredith. "I'm moving on with my life. I don't want our last encounter to be an argument."

"Where are you going to go, Meredith?" asked gently Susan. "Do you have a prospect of a new job?"

"Actually, I do," she answered breaking the awkwardness lingering in the air. "I'll be joining my friends' practice in Los Angeles."

"Oh, great," Susan nodded enthusiastically. "You're replacing downpours and snowstorms with sun and sandy beaches. You know, we've always wanted to break out to California. You won't mind us calling for a visit some time in the spring?"