Chapter 52

SOME MONTHS LATER

"Ouch!"

Derek tried to loosen his collar in a gesture that betrayed his complete nervousness but his hand was instantly slapped by Heather.

"Don't touch that!" she berated him like a little boy and rushed to readjust his tie. "You've got to look presentable at your own wedding!"

"You're such a bridezilla!" whispered Kim dramatically to her sister.

As soon as Heather let go of him, he stuck his hands in his pockets and started to pace up and down in front of the place where he and Meredith were supposed to get married. It was a beautiful spot, shaded by the trees but giving a magnificent view over Seattle at the same time. The reverend was already there, everyone else was already there, except his bride. She wasn't technically late yet but the sooner the time of their wedding was, the more anxious Derek became.

"Man, stop with the pacing," frowned Mark. "You're making me nervous and I'm even not the one who's getting hitched."

He was surely suffering from Meredith withdrawal, he didn't see his future wife since the previous morning. His wicked sister scrupulously made sure that they didn't meet before the wedding. He spent a first non-Meredith day for months, worse still, he slept alone and he found that unnerving. Meredith once told him she wasn't a runaway bride but the last few days were simply overwhelming. God, he just wanted to have her before his eyes again and get done with the wedding...

An unexpected sound of a car engine broke him out of his musings. Was someone late? His eyes swept over the gathering of their family, friends and colleagues, it didn't look like it. On the other hand, he was so nervous he couldn't be sure.

Suddenly, his eyes opened wide in surprise as the newcomers turned out to be no other than Ellis Grey and Richard Webber. At first, Derek was rooted to the spot. Meredith's mother made no contact at all since she left Seattle after the memorable family evening. And now she was here... Desperation slipping into his veins, he quickly crossed the lawn disregarding curious pairs of eyes and heads that were turning back after him.

"What are you doing here?" he addressed Ellis more harshly than he intended.

"Excuse me?" she snorted, her eyebrow riding high.

"I think it's time that you accept that Meredith and I are getting married. It's our wedding day and there's nothing-"

"You call yourself a brain surgeon?" she snorted in reply. "You think I came out like this only to persuade my daughter not to get married?"

Derek closed his mouth embarrassedly as only now did he realize Ellis was wearing an elegant dress while Richard was in a tuxedo.

"Besides," Ellis took out an envelope from her purse. "I've got an invitation."

"Right," he nodded thickly. He sent it himself.

"I intended to make an entrance during the speak or hold your peace part but apparently, it hasn't even started yet. Where's Meredith?"

"She's... still in the house... getting ready..."

"In the house?" Ellis quirked her eyebrow.

"Well, yeah, only the ground floor is finished... we were hurrying to make it for the wedding-"

"I'm going to see my daughter. Hopefully the roof won't fall down on me."

"But-"

"Derek, relax," Richard patted him on the shoulder and dragged him back to where everyone was waiting. "Ellis is no threat to your happiness. She had a lot of time to think about everything and she revised her opinions."