Chapter 23

Meredith carefully examined her expression in a small mirror she had placed on her desk and put final touches on her hair that was clipped on the side of her head while the wavy locks cascaded on her shoulder. She heard a soft knock and Derek stealthily slipped into her office.

She gaped at him for a moment, taking in his dashing appearance that made her pulse quicken. He was wearing a black suit, underneath which he donned a silk shirt with a tie. He straightened the lapels of his jacket nervously under her scrupulous gaze. "Uhm, something's wrong? I was to wear my good-looking red shirt but with you... chose something more formal..."

"No," she giggled watching him rake his hair that was styled to be messy and windswept.

"I thought maybe I should have shaved," he eyed her rubbing his jaw.

"Nah, the stubble's hot," she said coyly playing with one of her locks absentmindedly. "Makes you look all manly, that crooked nose too."

He rolled his eyes and walked up to her, keeping one hand behind his back. Now she was the one to squirm self-consciously under his scrutiny, feeling more exposed than if she was naked.

"So... we were supposed to meet downstairs..."

"I thought it would be safer if I saw you beforehand..." he breathed out halting inches from her, "to have a few minutes to recover in private after being sent to my knees by your staggering beauty."

She felt her cheeks going warm. She blushed... she actually blushed. She never blushed before... not since she was in college.

"And... I wanted to give you a little something." He produced a flat box and opened it.

"Oh my God!" she exclaimed at the sight of a delicate necklace. A thin chain held a small silver globe that gave beginning to several rays that hang down. "It's... beautiful..."

"Then you like it?" he asked with a smile.

"Of course I like it... but... you shouldn't have," she argued just for the sake of the situation tracing the necklace with her fingertips.

"I realized with shame that I have never given you anything," he said taking the chain from the cushion.

"It's expensive," she looked at the piece of jewelry appreciatively.

"I can afford it," he grinned, "as you know well enough since you're footing my bills..."

"Would you...?" She showed him her back lifting her hair.

"My pleasure..." her swanlike neck called his lips.

"That's not what I was asking for..." she whispered looking at him over her shoulder. "At least, not now..."

He chuckled and put the necklace around her neck. She checked her expression while his hands trapped her against his body.

"You're... breathtaking, Meredith. You're perfection," he whispered burying his face into her locks while his eyes closed. They swayed together sensuously. "I can't wait to rip that dress off you... see you clad only in this shiny thing ..."

She breathed irregularly. His words were making her warm around her heart and hot in her core.

"I can't wait to rip it off of me too..." she moaned turning to him and taking his hands. With all the work for the trial and their recent arguments, they weren't intimate for the longest period since their passion got the better of them for the first time in her kitchen. "But..."

"But we need to go there first," he sighed with a dreamy smile.

"Yeah, make a shocking appearance..." she cocked her head, "and meet new interns..."