17~Shallan

It's the middle of the afternoon. I'm laying on the bed staring at the ceiling, thinking. There's a knock on the door.

"Shallan?" Donna asks through the door. I stand and open the door.

"Yes?" I ask.

"I was wondering if you'd like to help me in the kitchen?" She asks with a smile. I give her the best smile I can muster and nod. I follow her to the kitchen. She walks up to the table.

"Could you slice those apples for the apple pie?" She points at the knife on the cutting board. I stare wide eyed at the knife. All the memories of that night coming back to me. I take step back.

"Are you ok?"

"I'm fine. Is there anything else you need help with? Something other than cutting things with a knife."

"Can you roll out the pie crust?"

"Sure."

"The rolling pin is under the cabinet." She points with her knife. I back up a little bit more.

"Which one?" I ask, looking at the cabinets. She tells me again.
And I get the rolling pin. I do my best to roll out the pie crust.

"I've never done this before. Just so you know." I tell her.

"You're doing great." She smiles at me. I give her a small smile in return. She starts telling me about a Thanksgiving a few years ago. As she talks she stirs the filling for the chocolate cream pie. While she's telling me the story Mikey walks into the kitchen. When he hears what Donna is saying his ears go red, closely followed by his cheeks.

"Oh god Mom. Why did you have to bring that up?" He groans.

"What? It's funny."

"It's not funny it's embarrassing." Gerard walks in.

"What's embarrassing?" he asks.

"I was just telling Shallan about the time Michael-"

"Mom!" Mikey cuts her off, "Stoooooop." he drags out the 'o' in stop," And it's Mikey. Not Michael."

"I named you Michael not Mikey. And I am your mother." Mikey groans and dips his finger in the filling for the pie. Donna swats his hand.

"Keep your fingers out of my pie filling." Mikey just shrugs and gets himself a glass of water. Gerard 'accidentally' bumps Mikey, making him dump his water down his front. Mikey glares at Gerard and Gerard just smiles innocently.

"Sorry." Gerard says. Mikey looks at the half empty glass in his hand, then at Gerard and then back at the glass. He smirks. I know what he's planning, but Gerard obviously doesn't, as he stays where he's standing. I wave my hand and get his attention, just as Mikey starts to slowly raise the glass. I mouth 'Run'. Gerard glances back at Mikey. His eyes go wide and he takes off running.

"Get back here you little shit." Mikey yells, running after him. I roll my eyes.

"Gerard Arthur Way and Michael James Way get back here now!" Donna yells. They come back in. Gerard smirking and Mikey glaring at the back of Gerard's head. Mikey's hair is soaked and water is running down his face. I watch the water drip off his nose and create a small puddle on the floor. The glass is now in Gerard's possession.

"Yes?" Gerard asks.

"Apologize to your brother." Gerard rolls his eyes, but does as he's told.

"You too, Michael." Mikey sighs and mutters a sorry. Donna nods and they walk out of the kitchen, Mikey accusing Gerard of getting them in trouble. Donna rolls her eyes.

"Remind me how old they are?" She says, trying to hide her smile. I half smile.

"No more than ten apparently." I tell her. She laughs and goes back to pouring the filling into the pie crust. The doorbell rings. Donna slides the pie in the oven and walks out of the kitchen. Mikey walks back into the kitchen. His hair is dry and he changed his shirt.

"My aunt and uncle are here." Mikey informs me. My eyes widen. More people?! My anxiety starts to kick in. I think Mikey notices, because he comes and wraps his arms around me.

"You'll be sleeping in my room for a couple nights." Mikey says.

"Why?" I ask.

"Because they need the guest room. It's fine though. You can have my bed and I'll sleep in Gee's room."

"I can't take your bed."

"It's fine."

"But-"

"No buts. Now come meet my aunt and uncle." He picks me up so my feet are dangling a good few inches off the floor and leaves the kitchen. He takes me to the entry way where a tall, muscular man and short skinny woman are talking with Donna. He sets me on the floor.

"Mikey!" the woman exclaims, wrapping her arms around Mikey. Her head doesn't even reach Mikey's shoulder, but she's taller than I am. She's got shoulder length honey blonde hair and brown eyes. The man has short dark brown hair and hazel eyes.

"Hi Em." I subconsciously grab Mikey's hand.

"Mikey." the man says offering his hand to Mikey. Mikey shakes it.

"Hey Claude." the woman turns to me.

"Hi. Who are you?" she asks.

"Sh-Shallan." I whisper.

"I'm sorry. What?"

"Shallan. Her name is Shallan." Mikey says.

"I'm Mikey and Gerard's Aunt Emily. But you just call me Em, like everyone else." She smiles warmly. I nod.

"I'm Claude." the man introduces himself. I try to say my name, but I've lost the ability to speak. I open my mouth but no words come out.

"This is Shallan." Mikey says again.

"Nice to meet you." Claude says with a smile.

"Don can you take their bags to..."Donna trails off.

"The guest room?" Mikey supplies.

"But I th-"

"We sorted it out." Mikey says, then looks at me and squeezes my hand, "Didn't we?"

"Yeah."

"Wonderful. Gerard? Oh where is he? Gerard!" Donna yells.

"What?!" Gerard yells from his bedroom.

"Get your butt out here and say hello to Em and Claude." I can't hear him, but I'm sure he groans. He stomps down the hall.

"Gerard!" Em exclaims and gives him a hug.

"Hi Em. Claude." Gerard shakes Claude's hand like Mikey did and walks back down the hall.

"Hermit!" Mikey yells at him. Gerard gives him the finger without turning around.

"Gerard Arthur Way!" Donna gasps. Mikey gives Gerard the finger, even though Gerard's back is to him.

"Michael!" Donna looks appalled that Mikey would do that, like she's seen Gerard do it, but never Mikey.

"Sorry." Mikey shrugs. Gerard is already back in his room. Donna rolls her eyes.

"Sorry about them." Em just laughs and waves it off. We migrate to the living room. Em sits in one armchair, Claude sits in the other and I sit between Donna and Mikey on the couch. Em talks about people I don't know and Claude chimes in occasionally. And then, somehow, I become the topic of conversation. Em asks why I'm here and how they know me. Mikey explains that he adopted me. You know, I'm honestly surprised my anxiety hasn't kicked in. I think the medication helps. I just keep silent. I have nothing to say and no-one has anything to say to me.