18~Shallan & Mikey

Today is Thanksgiving. Donna and Em have been in the kitchen all morning. Mikey is still sleeping, which doesn't surprise me, Gerard is drawing, I'm sitting, drinking coffee and Claude is reading a book. I don't know where Don is. Just then Don walks down the hall. He comes and sits beside me on the couch.

"Morning." I say. He nods

"Happy Thanksgiving." I say.

'Happy Thanksgiving." I stand and walk into the kitchen. Donna and Em making Thanksgiving dinner. They both say a quick hi and then go back to whatever they were doing. I place my mug in the sink.

"I think I'm going to wake Mikey up. He'll probably hate me, but I don't care." I tell them as I walk down the hall. I push the door to Gerard's room open. Mikey is laying spread eagle on the floor with a blue blanket laying on top of him. I nudge him with my toe. Nothing.

"Mikey. Wakey wakey eggs and bakey." I say, crouching next to him. He opens one eye and looks at me.

"What the fuck?" he mumbles, "Shallan? What the fuck are you doing?" he sits up and rubs his eyes.

"I'm waking you up. Duh." he reaches around trying to find something. His hand lands on the nightstand. He finds his glasses and puts them on.

"You are crazy." he says.

"I know." I turn to walk out off the room. I walk back down the hall and into the living room.

Mikey's POV

"Dinner's ready!" Mom yells from the kitchen. Everyone stands and walks into the dining room. Shallan sits down next to me. Dad gives his yearly speech on being thankful for all that we have. Like every year we go around the table and say something we're thankful for.

"I'm thankful my boys are home." Mom says. Gerard is next.

"I'm thankful for my band." Mom nods and Em goes next.

"I'm thankful for being here."

"I'm thankful for my beautiful wife." Claude says looking at Em. I'm next.

"I'm thankful for Shallan." Shallan grabs my hand under the table and squeezes it tightly. She takes a deep breath.

"I'm thankful for being adopted by someone so kind and for being part of such a wonderful family." She smiles at me. It almost reaches her eyes. I can tell it's not quite real yet, but we're getting closer.

"And I am thankful that we're all here and healthy." Dad says, "Now let's eat." Mom rolls her eyes and Dad starts carving the turkey.

When dinner ends we all migrate back to the living room for pie and coffee. Mom walks down the hall and comes back with a cardboard box. My eyes widen when I realize what's in the box. Gerard groans.

"Oh god. Mom, please not again."

"Stop it, Gerard. It's tradition." Gerard groans again and puts a pillow over his face. Mom kneels in front of the TV and puts a tape into the VCR. Time for home videos. She grabs the remote and sits down with Dad. The TV screen is filled with Gerard's face. This video is from summertime. We were out in the pool. Gerard was talking about something and in the backround you can see me filling a water gun. I walk up behind Gee and shoot him in the back of the head. We run around the backyard. Me laughing like a madman and Gerard yelling incredibly stupid insults at me. Gee is still hiding behind a pillow, Mom is laughing with Em and Claude and Shallan is half-smiling.

"Your family is crazy." she whispers.

"Their your family too."

"Oh god no. Anything but that." She says. I smile and bump her shoulder with mine. She tips to the left a bit, then bumps me hard enough I fall onto Gee, who shoves me back towards Shallan. Then I'm being pushed back and forth between them. Mom looks in our direction and rolls her eyes. Dad just laughs with Claude and Em. I sigh.

"OK stop." I say.

"Spoil sport." Gee mutters. I smirk and give him a shove. He doesn't find it funny. I, on the other hand, find it fucking hilarious. After we watch home videos for a couple hours Shallan, Gee and I get ready to go. We bring our suitcases out and stand them by the door. Mom gives us each a hug.

"We'll see you later." I tell her. She nods. We walk out and put our suitcases in the back of Gee's car.

He drops Shallan and I off in front of my apartment building. I lead Shallan inside. We ride the elevator to the fifth floor. I pull my keys from my pocket and unlock the door. I push the door open and flick the lights on. It looks exactly like I left it.

"Welcome home, Shallan." I say and take my coat off. I hang it on the hooks behind the door. Shallan does the same with hers. I drag my suitcase down the hall. Shallan stays in the living room. Once I put my bag in my room I show Shallan to the guest room.

"I like your apartment." she tells me when we're back in the kitchen.

"Thank you."

"It's nice and very...you."

"Whatever you say."

"No it is. I like it."

"I like it too." Shallan walks around and looks at everything. My apartment is small and I don't own much furniture, but it's home nonetheless. Shallan stops in front of a picture hanging on the wall.

"This is cool." she says referring to the picture. It's one Gerard gave me a couple years ago for Christmas. It's a drawing of me.

"Yeah Gee gave that to me."

"Cool."

"Yeah."

"oh my god." she snorts and picks up a plastic figurine I have sitting on the end table. It was at one point in it's life a dog, but it has since lost it's tail, it's head and two of it's legs. So as replacements it has a cat head, bird legs and an elephant tail. I have no idea where I got the pieces to fix it, but at least it has all it's body parts, right?(1)

"What even is this?" she asks.

"I don't really know. It was dog, but over the years it lost some parts and replaced them with whatever I could find."

"Clearly." she puts it down and I sigh, contentedly.

"What?" Shallan asks.

"Nothing compares to being back in your own home and sleeping in your own bed."

"I'm sure. Speaking of sleeping think I'm going to go to bed if it's alright with you."

"Sure. Goodnight." I give her a hug and kiss the top of her head.

"Night Mikey. Love you." she says

"Love you too." I reply and then she walks down the hall. I lock the door, turn the lights off and make my way to bed. I lay down on my bed and savour the feeling of being in my own bed. Nothing beats it.

++++

I recently started watching How I Met Your Mother and it is hilarious. I love it.

(1)-my aunt actually has a figurine like the one I described it's really freaky looking.

Comment and vote! Thanks!

Savannah:-)