27~Patrick & Mikey & Gerard

I sit in the waiting room. People around are whispering and crying. I just stare at the wall.

"Patrick!" I look up. Mikey, Alicia, and Gerard are standing there. The hospital must have called Mikey.

"Where is she?" Gerard demands. I shake my head.

"They haven't let me see her yet." Mikey walks over to the desk. The lady behind the desk says something and points down the hall. He nods and walks back over.

"Room 109." we silently make our to the elevator. The ride up is uncomfortably quiet.

Mikey's POV

When we get to the second floor we get out and walk down the hall. When we find the room Alicia goes in first. We follow her in. Shallan is laying on the bed. Unconscious, but she looks at peace. Her is fanned out on the pillow. It's grown a considerable length in the past couple of months. Her face is paler than normal making her freckles stand out. Her left arm has been bandaged again. She's got a few scrapes on her cheeks. Alicia gasps and looks like she's about to cry. Patrick walks over to Shallan's side and grabs her hand. Alicia grabs Shallan's other hand. The door opens. A female doctor in red scrubs comes in. She's got graying hair in a ponytail and brown eyes framed by blue glasses.

"Is Shallan Way's legal guardian here?" I nod.

"I am." I say softly.

"I'm Dr. Blum(1). Would you come with me for a few minutes?" I follow her from the room.

"That is one tough girl. But tough as she may be I don't know that she'll make it through this. Her head injury is what concerns me most. I'm afraid she may not wake up. Her not waking up is part of her body's healing process and it may just take awhile, but there is very large possibility that she won't wake up. We're talking a sixty percent chance she won't wake up with a forty percent chance that she will." she gives me a long list of things that happened to Shallan, but I push them aside. I don't want to know what happened. "I'm so sorry this poor girl went through this and I promise we're doing everything we can to help her." I nod.

"Would you like me to tell the rest of them?" she asks. I nod. I turn and walk back in, keeping my eyes on my feet. She follows me and explains what happened to Shallan.

"When will she wake up?" Patrick asks.

"Hard to say. It could be today, could be next week or even next month. We just have to wait and see." I go over and grab Shallan's hand. Dr. Blum says something else and then leaves. A phone rings breaking the silence. Patrick walks out. I stay by the bed, holding Shallan's hand. Her breathing is slightly labored, but obviously it doesn't bother the doctor so it's probably nothing. Patrick comes back in.

"I have to go. I'm so, so sorry this happened." he says and walks back out. I watch him leave and I'm filled with anger. This is his fault. He let her get hurt. I trusted him and this is what happened. He won't get one step closer to her if I have anything to say about it. He was helping her, fixing her, but now she's broken even more than she was and it's all his fault. Alicia walks to Shallan's other side and grabs her hand. Gee steps up beside me. My tears fall and land on Shallan's arm. I didn't even realize I was crying. Gee wraps his arm around my shoulders. I sniff and then the room is plunged into silence again. But what is there to say. I look up at Alicia. She's crying. Shallan thought she was insignificant, but if she could see us now I think she would realize she's loved and wanted. And that's all she's ever wanted.

Gerard's POV

We reach the second floor and get out. We walk down the hall until we find room 109. Alicia walks in first. The rest of us follow. Shallan is laying, unconscious on the bed. She's hooked up to a heart monitor and has an IV in the back of her left hand. Her face is covered in scrapes, her nose is purple and swollen and she has a bandage covering most of her forehead. Her breathing looks a bit labored and Patrick walks over and grabs her hand. Alicia goes to her other side and grabs her other hand. She looks close to tears. The door opens and a doctor walks in.

"Is Shallan Way's legal guardian here?" she asks. Mikey nods.

"I am." he says, quietly.

"I'm Dr. Blum. Would you come with me for a few minutes?" Mikey follows her from the room. A few minutes later Mikey comes back. He keeps his gaze focused on his shoes. The door opens and the doctor walks back in. She's holding a clipboard and wearing glasses.

"I thought you might like to know the extent of her injuries. I nod and she continues, "She has a concussion, a broken nose and had to have thirteen stitches on her forehead. As far as I can tell no permanent damage has been done to her spine. Although she does have a few broken ribs, a punctured lung and some very large bruises. Both her legs have hairline fractures and her left kneecap sustained severe damage and she will probably be confined to a wheel chair. Only temporarily unless further tests prove otherwise. She also suffered severe head trauma. I've assessed the damage as best I can, but I can't know the extent of her injuries and mental condition until she wakes up."

"When will she wake up?" Patrick asks.

"Hard to say. It could be today, could be next week or even next month. We just have to wait and see." I nod. Mikey walks over and Alicia and I back up. Mikey grabs Shallan's hand.

"I have other patients to see, but I'll be back to check up on her. If anything changes call the nurse." we nod and she leaves. A phone starts ringing. Patrick's. He answers and walks out.

"I hate seeing her like this." Alicia whispers.

"Me too." she rests his head on my arm. Patrick comes back in.

"I have to go. I'm so, so sorry this happened." And then he leaves. Alicia walks to Shallan's other side and grabs her hand. I step up beside Mikey. I watch as a few tears slip of his face and land on her arm. I wrap my arm around his shoulders. He sniffs. Nobody says a word. No one has anything to say.

++++

1) Blum is pronounced like plume with a b. Just fyi.

So what do you think? Will she make it? I guess you'll have to wait and see. Comment and vote. Thank! Stay awesome!

Savannah:-)