Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Amrei sighed in relief as she kicked off her shoes, two hours and fifteen minutes later. She undressed as she made her way to her dressing room, stripping down to her underwear. She opened the wardrobe and hung her clothes in it.

Dropping down onto the cushioned chair in front of the vanity table, she undid her hair, dropping numerous hair pins into the tray where they were kept. Her curls were unruly as ever. She ran her hands through it in a halfhearted attempt to remove some of the tangles.

Blowing out a breath, she took off her bra and mentally debated whether she should put on a T-shirt or not.

Laziness won out. She exited her dressing room, intending to pick up her shoes from where she'd left them in the sitting room and put them away. She bent to pick them up and straightened just as she heard the door to her suite open.

"You really have to start knocking first, Your Highness", she said in exasperation, crossing her arms over her naked breasts.

Levi had been waiting for Amrei to leave Amaris' room so he could speak to her.

Her declaration at dinner had irked him even more than it had when it'd only been the two of them. What would lurking in the shadows of his doorway do? He had had no idea.

He'd done it anyway.

Then he'd unthinkingly pushed open her suite door to find her nearly naked, only those boyshorts on, her shoes in her hand as she tried to contain her breasts with her crossed arms.

"Sorry", he said hastily, shutting the door behind him. He knew he should turn away. He planned to.

Eventually.

Not just yet, he thought, taking several steps towards her.

"What do you want at this hour, Prince Levi? Haven't we seen enough of each other for the day already?"

He stopped at the edge of her personal space, looking down at her. This woman was affecting him in ways he couldn't quite grasp, and he was not sure how he felt about it as yet.

"I don't understand", he murmured.

"I've heard acceptance is a step to recovery", Amrei said drily.

"What?" he asked, confused.

"What have you realised that you don't understand?"

"You. I don't get you."

"I'm glad you can finally admit that, Your Highness. What I don't get is why you're so set on marrying me. There are probably a thousand better girls out there. You're sexy and rich, and a prince - they'd probably all be eager to have you. Why are you wasting our time?"

"I chose you, Amrei. Not any of them."

"Why?"

"You're different."

"I aim to be." She shrugged. "That still doesn't mean this will ever work."

He reached out and touched her hair carefully, twining a curl around a finger.

"I want different", he said. He released the curl, instead cupping the back of her head as he lowered his, pulling her close.

She didn't pull away, and this pleased him greatly. He pressed his lips to hers softly, silently seeking approval. She sighed, dropping her shoes to wrap her arms around his neck. She couldn't help herself. This man got to her - and probably always would in some way or another.