Chapter Twelve

Dear readers,

I know I just posted yesterday that The Heir is on hold - and it is, trust me - I had to post this chapter right this second because I just finished writing it. Plus, eleven is an odd number and I dislike odd numbers, so I'd rather leave you with an even numbered chapter. (Yes, I know this is weird, but whatever.) 

Thanks to my fiance for helping get unstuck from this chapter. :3

For those of you who've been wondering about some stuff that were left unsaid in The Spare, you'll get some answers in here. So, enjoy!

Don't forget to vote, comment, etc. It really means a lot. 

xoxo,

S.S.

P.S. Song sort of related? And do you like the new cover versus the old one? 

Chapter Twelve

The soft chiming of Levi's phone woke him the next morning. It was a ring tone he was not quite familiar with.

He carefully eased his arm from beneath the still-sleeping Amrei's head, pushing her dark curls back from her face when he was free. He rolled out the bed and pulled the phone out of the pocket of the pants he'd worn the night before.

It was a video call from an app he rarely used before on his phone. The caller was his sister, Isis.

Surprised, he swiped to answer it as he slipped back into Amrei's bed beside her.

Isis appeared, sans makeup, on the rectangular screen. Her blonde hair was tied up in a lazy messy bun, and she wore a translucent gray tank top, through which her magenta bra was visible. Upon seeing him, she frowned.

"Are you naked, Brother?" she asked, raising a brow.

"I am", he replied frankly. She blinked at him.

"Dare I ask why...?" she asked warily. He grinned (Which made her gape in surprise, because when did Levi learn to grin?) and turned his phone so that she could see Amrei sleeping beside him.

"Oh my! Is that er...who is that?"

"Amrei Sarafian, eldest daughter of the Earl of Zimorah", he said as he turned the phone back to face him. "My almost-fiancée."

"Almost-fiancée??"

"I'm working on it. She's not sure if she'll have me yet."

"I like her already." Isis grinned. Levi scowled.

"Whose side are you on here, Ice?"

"The woman who can get you to grin so easily, of course. Unless she breaks your heart, in which case I'll steal a nuke from Synlasia and bomb the bitch", Isis replied gravely.

"There's a scary thought", he said. Isis grinned.

"That's love, Brother dearest." She frowned. "Won't you wake her if we talk here?"

"Not at all. She sleeps more deeply than even you." He briefly glanced at Amrei to be sure she remained undisturbed.

"I'm glad wife-hunting is treating you well, Lee." She smiled at him fondly. Studying her closely, he noticed the shadows beneath her eyes and was immediately concerned.

"And you? Are you doing well?" She sobered up instantly.

"Not quite. Leo's a bit of a mess right now."