Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

"You're really early for the first show, Levi", Ysabel said when he came through the door of the backstage room reserved expressly for Ysabel's use. Levi nodded, trying his best to train his gaze slightly above the model she was dressing.

All around them, people were staring in surprise at the sight of the prince among them. Ysabel rolled her eyes and took a deep breath.

"Get back to work, all of you! We've got a show in four hours!!" she all but roared. Reaching up, she pulled a curtain across to block him from their view. "Sometimes having you around is so exhausting, cousin."

"My apologies, Ysa. I did not know what else to do, so I came here", he offered by way of explanation.

"Why not take your lady friend and her sister out sightseeing? Maybe even drag your sourpuss sister along with you, just to keep her out of trouble." Ysabel carefully eased the dress over the model's arms and head before letting it fall the rest of the way down. She dropped to her knees and began examining the dress' hem.

"I'm not seeing her unless I have to right now", he replied with a slight frown. Ysabel paused what she was doing and studied him. She stood up and turned to the model.

"Yara, go to Tallulah and tell her to finish up the adjustments on this dress", she instructed.

"Okay", Yara said. She bowed in Levi's direction, murmuring "Good day, Your Highness" before scurrying out of the space.

Ysabel dragged a short cushioned stool over to Levi.

"Something tells me you need to talk. Go on, have a seat. For you, I can spare several minutes."

He obediently sat down gingerly on the stool, stretching out his legs in order to be more comfortable in the short seat. Ysabel gracefully dropped down onto the floor between his feet, crossing her legs Indian style.

"What's up?"

"I am unsure how to proceed with Amrei. Perhaps it would be best for me to do as she wishes and leave her alone."

"You should."

"I do not want to. I am determined to have her as my wife."

"But she doesn't feel the same", Ysabel guessed.

"No, she does not."

"She clearly likes you. It must be confusing for you."

"It is."

"So, stop being clingy, Levi, darling. Get some space for both of your sakes."

"Space? For what purpose?"

"Give her some time to miss you. Give yourself some time to think. Perspective often reveals different things when you change it, I've found."

"What if I lose the progress I have already made?"

"You won't. Just trust me on this."

"It will be...difficult. I cannot help but seek her out, now that I have become so accustomed to courting her."

"You just need a distraction. I've got a perfect one, too."

Ysabel stood up in one fluid motion. Stepping beyond the curtain, she called for someone named Simon.

"Yes ma'am?" Levi heard the feminine male voice -presumably Simon's - say a few seconds later.

"Where is she?" Ysabel demanded without preamble.

"She just arrived, ma'am."

"Send her to me right now, please."

"Right away ma'am."