Chapter Twenty One

My beloved readers,

So many things are happening and I am so excited!! The Wattys 2017 are here, and I have decided to enter The Heir this year. This is the first time I'm entering one of my works in a competition. I can't wait to see how it goes!

Please continue to support The Heir - every little thing counts, as always. Don't forget to vote, comment, etc.

See you in the next - and final - installment!

With much love, 

Sunni Skys

Chapter Twenty One

It was as if the entire universe was holding its breath in the loaded silence that filled Julian Sarafian's office. Levi stared at Amrei, who had frozen at the sound of his voice behind her and had yet to move. They stood like that for a suspended moment, neither of them moving or saying a word. Julian looked from one to the other unsure of what to do. He cleared his throat and stood up.

"I think I'll take this chance to pay a visit to Amaris as well. Will you be alright here, dear?" he asked Amrei. She nodded unseeingly. Julian adjusted his necktie and grabbed his keys.

"If you don't mind, Your Highness...?"

Levi nodded once, stepping out of the way. As soon as Julian left, he shut the door again and leaned against it, focused entirely on Amrei.

"Why are you here?" she asked evenly.

"You will look at me if you want an answer," came his terse reply. She tensed up and looked at him over a shoulder, a stubborn set to her jaw.

"You should leave," she said monotonously.

Levi only stared at her, his anger just below the surface of his deceptively calm mien.

She finally gave in, turning to face him, reluctantly meeting his gaze.

"For you," he said plainly.

"What?" she asked, confused.

"You asked. I answered." He watched her through slightly shut eyes that glittered with an indecipherable emotion.

"You shouldn't be here. We broke up, remember?"

"You broke up with me. I never agreed to any of it."

"It was for the best," she said, forcing herself to be still when all she wanted was to close the distance and touch him, just to make sure he was really there. He was behind his walls again, the way he had been when she'd first met him.

She didn't blame him for it, either. If it had been her, she would not have even bothered to travel so far to find one who had hurt her so deeply and without warning.

"Incorrect. It was a rushed decision made without me."

"I had no other choice," she insisted.

"Also incorrect."

"He would have taken everything from my family!" A lump was forming in her throat, but she had already cried once for the day and had no wish to do so again. Especially not right then.

"So instead, you let him take everything from us?" he asked in a voice that was dangerously even.

"I had no choice!" she repeated. "It was the only way!"

Something snapped in Levi then. He strode forward. Amrei stepped back as he advanced until the back of her legs hit her father's desk and she had nowhere else to run. He slammed his palms down on the desk's top on either side of her, caging her in with his body.