Chapter Five

Chapter Five

"Is she always like that?" Levi asked Amaris quietly as the library doors slowly slid shut a little before them. Amaris chewed on her bottom lip, a troubled expression on her face.

"Mother? That was one of her nicer moments, actually." Amaris sighed.

"She's possibly more sharp-tongued than our king", Levi mused. He strode forward and completely closed one of the doors, then started to push the other one open further. Amaris reached out hurriedly to stay his hand.

"I don't think this is a good time, Your Highness."

"Would you prefer I go after your mother, Miss Amaris?" he asked calmly. Amaris glanced at the retreating figure of her mother, then back at him. Though he did not appear to be anything but calm, she had no desire to have him near her mother - not when she was so determined to see Amaris married to the prince. She wouldn't put anything past her mother when Calanthe was this determined to get something.

Still, she was not sure if Amrei would be pleased to have Prince Levi witness the vulnerable state she would undoubtedly be in right now. She knew how shitty it felt personally.

No one got to them the way Calanthe Sarafian did.

Levi pulled the door widely open, done waiting for her to reply, and slipped into the room. Amaris blew out a breath and followed suit, quickening her steps to get in front of him. She briefly took in the beauty of the room before searching it for Amrei.

Her sister was sitting upright, staring at the scenic landscape sprawled out below, her eyes suspiciously bright. She didn't move as Amaris sat next to her; didn't seem to notice when Levi leaned against the loveseat's back with his back towards them.

Usually, Amaris would reach out and gather her older sister in her arms and they would sit in silence. Whenever Amrei actually cried in those moments, Amaris would quietly wipe her tears away. She didn't ask questions. She knew Rei would talk to her eventually and that it was hard for her to lean on anyone, especially when she was troubled. Rei was the type who would seek solitude to fall apart, then put herself back together and resume being strong enough for the both of them.

Right then, however, Amaris was afraid to touch her. Sometimes a kind touch was all it took to break the dam holding back the tears.

Then Levi reached out and gently laid his hand on her head. He left it there for a moment before smoothing her loosely bound hair back from her face. Amrei finally blinked, looking down at her lap and leaning into his touch. Levi moved his hand to lightly cup the back of her neck.

"Rei", Amaris said softly. She enveloped one of her older sister's hands with both of hers. "Talk to me?"

Amrei shook her head slightly. Amaris slid closer to her, then lay her head on Amrei's shoulder. After a few moments, Amrei leaned her head against hers.

They sat like that for a while. Amrei's breathing deepened as she fell asleep.A few moments later, Levi nudged Amaris.

"Leave me here with her", he said quietly. He came around to the front of the loveseat and held Amrei up as Amaris slid from under her and stood up. She watched as Levi took the seat she had just vacated and lay Amrei's head on his lap.

"You aren't going to take advantage of her while she's asleep, are you?" she demanded, her eyes narrowed in suspicion.

"I have no need to take advantage of any woman, young one, and never have", he said, amused. A small smile graced his lips as he watched the play of emotions across Amaris' face as she came to a decision.