Chapter Twenty

Guess what?? :D

NOMINATIONS FOR THE FICTION AWARDS ARE NOW OPEN UNTIL JUNE 11TH!!! (Link below)

I encourage all of you to nominate all the books you want for the various categories there, and if one or two of them happen to be mine - thank you in advance! :D 

Don't forget to check out the rules first, then share, share, share!

https://www.wattpad.com/407146068-the-fiction-awards-2017-nominations-open

Chapter Twenty

Behati set a thin gold crown upon her head securely. She studied her reflection, frowned, and then removed the accessory. She did not need it. It was unnatural for her to wear it.

Checking her reflection once more, she nodded once, satisfied by what she found there. She left her suite and made her way to Ardyn's own, cooly calm, though in actuality, she was furious. She charged into his bedroom purposefully, making her way to the foot of his bed. She scowled at the large painting of Avriel, Isis' mother, hanging above the king-size bed's headboard before turning her attention to the sole occupant of the bed itself.

"Get up, you miserable bastard," she said loudly, stabbing a finger into his bare foot for good measure. Her husband hated when she did that the most.

Ardyn's eyes flew open almost instantly. He looked around before his eyes landed on his wife.

"Have you come to return to your place in our bed, Behati?" he asked dryly as he sat upright, letting the sheet fall to his waist and exposing his naked torso.

"I would rather die," she replied matter-of-factly.

"A bit overdramatic of you, wife, but do as you wish." He rearranged the pillows behind him and shifted in order to return to sleep.

"Divorce me," she commanded. He paused for a nanosecond before​ returning to his previous upright position. Cold brown eyes studied her like a predator might assess its prey.

"We don't do divorce in this family," he said, still watching her. "It is inconceivable."

"But adultery is fine?" she retorted.

"Not if it is you doing it," Ardyn replied with narrowed eyes.

"Divorce me, Ardyn, or abdicate the throne. Your choice - make it now."

"You have no power to make demands of me, woman."

"Are you really sure of that?" she asked, her brows arched. Ardyn's gaze hardened.

"I am not one to tolerate threats - not even from my wife."

"I, too, have my limits on what I will tolerate. This is the last straw, Ardyn. Abdicate, or divorce me. Those are your options. You have until the end of the week before I take matters into my own hands."

So saying, she turned on her heel and left the room with her head held high and a firm determination guiding her steps.

"Welcome home, Your Highness," the head butler greeted as Levi alighted from his usual SUV. Levi inclined his head slightly in acknowledgement. He took off his black aviator sunglasses and slid them into the front breast pocket of his light gray sports jacket, taking in the place he'd called home for all of his life.