The One That Got Away

"Hey...Did you leave your house? Niall won't tell me anything and I can't focus in school until I know where you are. Please give me a ring Harry...I love you...." Harry sobs and listens to The Script and The Fray as he replays Zayn's voicemail.

"Honey! Lunch is ready!" His mom yells from the kitchen.

He clears his throat to make sure his voice isn't groggy. "I'm coming," He says.

He runs the tap water and rinses his face before going downstairs to meet his mum.

"I met someone at the grocery store, and he was...you know? Anyways, he's gay! And I asked for his Facebook, he was very handsome too...Hopefully you'll.."

"I'm in a relationship mom," Harry groans. Then he realizes what he says and gulps down tears.

"Harry! You never told me-"

"I don't really want to discuss it.
I have a early class tomorrow if I can just go to sleep..."

Anne frowns but complies. "Night, Harry. I'm glad you came to visit," She smiles softly and pats his arm. Harry knows she's worried about him when she starts to wipe her palms on her jeans.

"Thank you mum. Night, love you,"

Harry doesn't go to sleep that night.

*****

Harry stalks around the kitchen at three a.m and he thinks and thinks and he wants so badly to talk to his mom about Zayn, but what if they do get back together? His mom would have an awful impression of Zayn! He feels alone for the first time in his life.

*****

Harry's alarm rings and he groans as he gets dressed. His eyes are red from lack of sleep and his eyes are puffy. When he's ready to leave he writes his mom a cute note and heads to university.

He was really trying to listen to Professor Gabriel but it got harder and harder to focus when he knew Zayn was blowing up his phone and turning it off didn't help much either. Zayn can make Harry's day or ruin it and someone having that much of an effect on you is scary.

"Hey, you okay?" A boy beside him whispers, elbowing him.

He's got brown hair like his own, but brown eyes and is pale.

"I'm okay, thanks," he musters up a smile and it becomes real smile when the boy offers him a fruit snack.

He lets Harry copy the notes he missed. And then listens intently to Professer Gabriel.

Harry follows the boy from class out the door when class is over.

"Hello, I'm Harry." He taps the boys shoulder. "Thanks for the food and notes."

The boy smiles, "Don't mention it, I'm Dylan and I'm new to the area. Trying to make friends you know?" He smiles, his American accent heavy.

Harry nods and they walk outside together and they're planning on hanging out when....

"Harry?" It's Zayn.

The scene looks awful. Harry's reaching for Dylan's phone and Dylan's already typing something in his.

Harry gulps and hurriedly takes his phone as soon as Dylan finishes and shoos him away.