⊰one⊱

I shut the door of my slick red 1977 MG convertible and pushed my Oakley's over my blue eyes. I took a deep breath and gazed at the familiar police station.

I stuck my hands into the pockets of my black shorts and I walked right up the front steps to enter the building, listening to the soft clack clack clack sounds that my wedges made against the concrete.

Five years had passed since I physically stepped inside of the building, but it didn't seem to have changed that much. Except for one major thing: my father wasn't a deputy anymore. He was Sheriff.

I walked over to the main desk and gave the officer behind the counter a smile. "Good morning! I'm looking for Sheriff Stilinski," I told her.

She opened her mouth to reply but I saw my father step out of his office with a surprised look on his face. "Sarah?" he asked, taking in my appearance. It had been a year and a half since I had been back home, and I had changed a lot.

I gave my dad a big grin and walked around the front desk to give him a big hug. "Hi, Daddy!" I said with a laugh. It always felt good to surprise my dad by coming home.

"I wasn't expecting you home until the holidays," he stated, allowing me to step into his office. He shut the door behind him and I sat in one of the chairs in front of his desk.

I let giggled and shrugged my shoulders. "Well, surprise," I beamed.

My father raised his eyebrow at me and sat behind his desk. "What are you doing home so soon?" he asked me skeptically.

I gave my dad a reassuring smile and braced my hands on his desk. "The Dean and my Admin Rep, both thought that it was a good idea for me to take a year off," I explained.

"You've only just gone back for the second semester," he responded incredulously, crossing his arms over his chest. "What happened, Sarah?" My father raised his eyebrow at me again and leaned over his desk to stare me down.

A shudder ran down my back as my thoughts wandered to the events that happened on campus at the beginning of the school year—the whole reason I have returned home. I frowned and looked down at my wedges, scuffing them against the floor. 

"I, um...I don't want to talk about it. Not right now. And, anyway, technically, I've been given online classes so it's not like I'm totally out of school," I told him. I shook my head again to clear away my thoughts and looked back at my dad to give him my signature smile, again. "How about we go home and catch up on other things? How's my darling baby brother doing?" I changed the subject quickly.

My father let out a chuckle and shook his head at me. "Your brother is just like you. Can't keep his nose out of police business. I caught him snooping around a crime scene just a few weeks ago," my father informed me.

I laughed with a shrug of my shoulders. "What can I say, Dad? Stiles was always more interested in your job than I ever was. I know I was curious, but I never went snooping around crime scenes," I reminded him.

My father laughed and stood up from his desk chair as he grabbed his jacket. "Well, you're right about that. Let's get home. You must be tired from your drive. And Stiles will be home in about an hour. He'll be excited to see you again," my father told me.

I followed him out of his office and we walked out of the sheriff's department together. I had parked next to his squad car and let me just say that the look on his face when he saw the MG was enough to have me nearly doubled over in laughter. "When did you get this?" he asked me.

I smiled widely and proudly. "Um, maybe a year ago? I spent half a year's worth of paychecks on it and some friends from school helped me restore it. It wasn't always this good looking, Dad," I informed him. I pulled open the driver door and grinned at him. "I'll follow you," I told him.