⊰ten⊱

When I woke up the next morning, my head was pounding and my entire body felt completely numb. I let out a groan as sat up in my bed, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. I knew that I probably looked like a disaster but I couldn't really care less.

I let out a yawn and let my eyes flutter open completely.

As my eyes focused on my room, I let out a small scream when I saw a figure sitting in my desk chair. My hand flew against my chest as he just stared at me in the midst of my heart attack and I sat there waiting for my dad or brother to come rushing to my bedroom, but the house remained quiet.

"Derek, what the hell are you doing here?!" I whisper-yelled at him.

"You don't have to be so quiet. Your dad and brother are gone," Derek mused with a chuckle.

I glared at him and pulled my blanket up to cover my chest, since I was wearing a big tank top but no bra. "What are you doing here?" I asked him normally.

"I heard you call out my name last night, so, I came to see if you were okay," he answered.

I narrowed my eyes. "I didn't call you."

He chuckled and stood up in his seat. "Yes, you did," he assured. "You don't just don't remember because you were sleeping when I climbed through your window," he explained.

"Then why didn't you just leave when you saw that I was sleeping?" I asked him.

He shrugged his shoulders. "I was going to, but I think you sensed my presence in your sleep. You said to stay. You looked sad, like you were dreaming of something that upset you so I stayed," he frowned slightly.

I felt like putty in my bed sheets when I saw the concern on his face with his explanation. I wanted to be mad at him for watching me sleep like some weird stalker creep but I couldn't when I saw the worry in his eyes.

Then a thought occurred to me as I processed the fact that he had been in my room all night. "My dad--" I started, but he knew where I was going with it.

"He did come in this morning before he left for work and I hid in your closet, which was definitely cliche," he said.

I nodded slowly with a slight frown. "Yeah, he's been doing that since my mom died. He stopped checking in on Stiles but he still checks on me, even now that I'm in college," I said.

The room was silent for a moment and my fingers just played with my sheets. I could hear his heart beating steadily in his chest and for some reason, it made me feel relaxed just hearing it.

"Hey, can I ask you a favor?" he asked, finally breaking the silence.

"Sure," I answered.

Why not? Especially after last night.

"Well, it's practically afternoon, and I was hoping to go see my uncle. Would you come with me?" he asked me.

I looked over at him for a moment before responding. He practically asked me to meet someone from his family. Doesn't that only happen when two people are in a relationship? Or even if they were just friends?

Are Derek and I friends now.

It looked important to him for me to join, so, I gave him a soft smile and nodded. "Sure. I'll go with you," I answered.

He looked almost relieved by my words. "Thank you," he said.

I giggled and waved my hand for him to leave as I said, "You're welcome. Now, if you will please exit the room so that I may get dressed."