⊰twenty two⊱

"Call it again."

Scott scampered around his bedroom in a rush, flinging random articles of clothing around and moving things around. He was trying to find his cellphone, which he had lost at some point that he couldn't think of.

I was there with him after Peter left the vet clinic. He came straight to his house, and Stiles met us there.

"It's not here," Stiles told his best friend. 

I stood behind my brother in the threshold of Scott's bedroom while the teenager rushed around his room, looking under his bed and everywhere he could think of.

"So you lost your phone. Why don't you just get a new one?" 

"I can't afford a new one. And I can't do this alone. We have to find Derek."

Scott rushed back in front of Stiles to the other side of his room, to his closet, and I was starting to get dizzy.

"Well, A, you're not alone. You have me. And Sarah," Stiles started, jabbing his thumb to point back at me as he mentioned me. "And B, didn't you say Derek walked into gunfire? He sounds pretty dead."

"Argent's plan was to use him to get the Alpha. They're not gonna kill him."

I leaned up against the wall and bobbed my head in agreement. I knew Kate Argent a little too well. If she had anything to do with the attack at the Hale house the night before, Derek was definitely alive.

We just had to figure out where he was being held.

"AII right, so then just Iet them do what they're planning, you know? They use Derek to get Peter, problem solved," Stiles said as Scott started throwing clothes and towels from his bathroom, still in search of his phone.

"Not if Peter's going after AIIison to find Derek!" he argued, exiting his bathroom. "I can't protect her on my own. Which means we need to find Derek first. Just—Just help me!" 

Now he was rummaging around his desk, and I was curious whether or not he ever actually used it for homework.

A rubber ball was tossed behind Scott and hit my brother in the head, which made me giggle softly with amusement. 

"You know, you probably lost it when you two were fighting," Stiles suggested, tossing the ball to the floor. "You remember that, when he was trying to kill you and my sister? After you two interrupted him trying to kill Jackson? Are you starting to see a pattern of violent behavior here?"

"He wasn't going to kill anyone," I told my brother, defending Derek immediately. I knew that Derek wasn't going to kill anyone. I could see it and I could sense it, but I was too angry at him at the time to believe it myself. 

"And I'm not letting him die," Scott added after me.

"Could you at least think about Ietting him die? For me?"

I flinched, hearing a loud squeaking sound in my ears. I knew it was the McCall's one car, an old thing that needed so many repairs done that Melissa couldn't afford.

"What?" Stiles asked, seeing Scott react to the same thing, which Stiles couldn't hear.

"My mom just got home from work," Scott answered.

The room fell silent and Scott and I listened to the same thing. Melissa was making a phone call down in her car.

"Hi. It's me. Melissa McCall. Um...Giving you a call." 

She let out a nervous laugh and my heart ached for the poor woman. She had had a tough time since her loser ex-husband left her and Scott and she deserved more than she got since then.