⊰eighteen⊱

"I thought you had the turns under control?"

A pained howl ripped out of my throat and I stumbled to my knees in the middle of the woods, clutching my head in my hands. My brain was throbbing in my head, my gums ached as my fangs tried to come out. 

"I...I do. I just...This is different." 

Did my period really have come the same week as the full moon? This is fucking torture; all for not getting pregnant. 

Screw you, Mother Nature.

I shoved myself to my feet and pushed his hands away from me as I continued forward. My senses were dialed up so high, my wolf scratching at the surface, trying to get free. 

"Why are you still following me?! I could hurt you!"

He kept following and I kept stumbling through the leaves and twigs like I was wasted and couldn't walk on my own two feet. I kept struggling to contain my wolf as we trekked through the trees, trying to get to our destination.

My overactive hearing picked up on the sound of the chains rattling in the duffle bag that he carried in his hand, the scent of the iron and the dried blood entangled with the links wafted through my nose.

I felt my fangs fight to come out and I groaned, gritting my teeth and focusing on my anchors, trying to tether me to my human-side.

"I'm not leaving you out here alone. That is not what we do, Sarah. I'm going to help you chain yourself up in the cave. Then I'm going to come get you in the morning after the moon sets."

I wrapped my arms around my chest and whimpered, staggering in my step. My insides were twisting, every fiber in my body howling up at the full moon shining through the treetops above us. It was taunting me, goading me, calling me to give in to it.

And everything I was doing to stop it was failing and was just painful.

"I don't think I can keep the change at bay," I whined.

"Sarah—" 

"Just leave now while you can. When I change, my bloodlust is going to take over. I'll kill you."

"I don't care—"

I howled again, my jaw bursting into a new level of pain as my fangs slipped down. My vision turned spotty before going blood red, my yellow eyes shining bright.

The animal inside of me was out to play and the human part was crying to get out, fighting to get back in control of my body. But the full moon had won this battle.

A pained snarl left my lips and everything else around me blacked out.

My eyes flew open and an involuntary whine left my lips as my hands flew up to my temples, applying pressure to dull the ache away.

I hate the memory that had surfaced. It was something I wanted to leave buried, something to not think about again.

Something that Peter did had to be the reason it came back to the forefront of my mind.

I had put a wall up to keep it away. Surely Peter did something, anything, to bring that memory back.

It couldn't just be me.

"Sarah?"

I propped myself up on my elbows and turned my head toward the voice that spoke my name.