⊰thirteen⊱

Why is it so bright? What's that annoying beeping sound? Why does it smell like death and blood?

My other senses were the first thing to alert me to my surroundings before my eyes opened. I could tell that I was laying down and something was uncomfortably sitting inside of my arm, a pinching feeling around the spot where said thing was inserted into my skin. My head was pounding, making it feel like it was spinning. 

I groaned and held my head in my hands, grunting when the pinch in my arm shifted around and felt tighter.

"Sarah, you're awake."

I slowly peeled my eyes open at the familiar voice to find that Ms. McCall, Scott's mom, was looking down at me with a soft smile. Ms. McCall standing in front of me, wearing her scrubs with a clipboard in her hands meant that I was in a hospital.

My eyes assessed myself and I was wearing a hospital gown. 

I gave her a weak smile in return. "Hey, Ms. McCall," I greeted her. I loved this woman. She was like a second mom to me.

"Sarah, I've told you millions of times before that you can call me Melissa," the sweet woman said to me as she wrote something on a clipboard. "How are you feeling, honey?" she repeated her question.

"My head hurts," I answered tiredly.

"I'd imagine so. Your brother said you hit your head pretty hard. Do you remember what happened?" she asked me.

I started to shake my head when memories came flooding back. The blood. Derek getting hurt. The Alpha throwing me at least twenty feet through the air or more.

Derek.

I shot up quickly, and clutched my head when it started pounding even more. "Derek," I groaned. "Where's Derek?" I asked her.

"It's okay, honey. He can't hurt you anymore," my dad's voice chimed into the conversation.

My head snapped up and I saw my dad and Stiles enter the hospital room. Did my dad just say that Derek can't hurt me anymore?

"Um, I'm sorry, but, what are you talking about?"

"Your brother and Scott told me that Derek was the one who hurt you. Do you remember that?" my dad asked.

I turned to Stiles with a bewildered expression on my face and he covered his mouth with his hand like he was trying desperately not to say something out of turn. This meant I had to play along with the story and then pummel him later.

"No. I-I don't remember anything."

"It's okay, sweetie," he assured me. "We're going to find him and lock him away for the rest of his life," my dad said.

I looked at him sharply again. "What don't I know?" I questioned. Locking him up for life was more serious than clocking me upside the head. 

If Scott and Stiles did something stupid...

"Derek trapped your brother, Scott, and three other teenagers in the school and tried to kill them," my dad said.

'Derek' meaning the Alpha was the one who trapped five teenagers in the high school and tried to kill them. I shot a glare at Stiles, who was silently spazzing and covering his face as he stood in the corner of the hospital room. 

But my glare was interrupted with an ache in my brain and I groaned out loud, clutching my head with the palms of my hands and squeezing my eyes shut.

"You should lay back down, honey. Try to relax," my dad coaxed me, gently pushing me back against the bed. "I'm just going to step outside with Melissa. Stiles, keep an eye on your sister," my dad said, turning around to face my brother.