Hollow

The school bell rang, signifying the end of school. A miracle for all the students who felt like prisoners inside the building.

All the students poured outside, opening their umbrellas to protect them from the harsh rain that was falling down on them.

No one had plans today. After all who would go outside in such a storm?

They would just go home and enjoy their weekend.

Conan took shelter under the roof by the entrance along with a few others 1st years and 3rd years who were caught in the storm without a umbrella or a rain coat.

He looked in silent at the down pour that was falling down. No signs of stopping anytime soon.

Ran had just called and said she was going to pick him up in a few.

Ran, though pregnant, loved driving.

Conan knew it was bad for her, but Araide was busy today with a surgery going on at the hospital. A girl had a appendix burst a hour before they started operating on her and Araide was trying all his best to help her. But Ran had driven a car a lot of times in her state and while Araide was at work, without him knowing.

"Hey Conan. "

The bespectacled boy quickly turned to whoever called his name and saw it was only Mitsuhiko. The freckled boy had a black umbrella under his arm and was also wearing a rain coat.

"If you like I can give you my umbrella.... " Mitsuhiko offered, "I have my rain coat. "

Conan shooked his head in a polite way, "No thank you Mitsuhiko. Ran's gonna pick me up. "

"Oh ok. "

Mitsuhiko turned his attention to the rain, but didn't move, he just stared.

"I heard you and Haibara-san had a fight. Is it true?"Mitsuhiko finally spoke.

The other kids that were caught in the rain, immediately lowered their voices.....and looked at Conan for a answer.

The boy bit down a gasp before it could escape his mouth and in a calm and collected manner, replied, "Yes...... But how did you know."

"Gossip. Since Haibara stopped coming to school. Everyone assumed something between you two. "

Gossip and rumours were like a out of control wild fire. They spread and try to dominate any land they find. They burn beautiful and innocent flowers and tall, proud trees into ashes. No one had confirmed it that he and Haibara had ended their relationship, but they must've known something was up when Haibara hadn't come to school for almost a week. She never missed school. So someone decided that conclusion and now the whole school knew.

Mitsuhiko looked at his friend with sympathy.

He found it quite a shock upon hearing Conan's and Haibara's breakup. It didn't make sense to him. To him they were that scho couple that would never be separated. The perfect movie couple. But he knew nothing is perfect. Conan and Haibara had their own arguements, but they were just joke arguements, no harm, no hate. Mitsuhiko felt somewhat guilty because they broke apart, though he didn't do anything to cause this. Maybe there was a way he could get them together. At that instant he remembered about something he had inside his bag.

Swiftly, he took his backbag off and unzipped it, as Conan watched, curioused and confused at the same time.

Mitsuhiko zipped his backpacj again and was now holding papers. With a warm smile he handed them to Conan.

Conan looked at the papers.

He knew what they were. Homework for Haibara and assignments she missed during her absent. Mitsuhiko obviously wanted him to take Haibara's homework to her and talk to her or maybe he gave it to him cause he was nervous to see her. The boy wished he could take the papers to Haibara, but he knew she wouldn't come out if he's around, she would yell at him. He had tried and all he got back was a slap and yelling.