Chapter One

Chapter One

          “I was sent out of here to find you for your appointment.” She said.

          “This isn’t really a good time,” I said, tearing up.

          “I’m sorry, but you have to be taken to your appointment, otherwise you will never be in the genetic bank system and you will not be officially put into society. You can’t really do anything if you aren’t put into the system.” She was speaking in such a monotone voice that it made it hard for me to listen. I didn’t care what she was saying to me.

          “It’s just that my…” I couldn’t bring myself to say it. My parents were probably dead. Evalyn was standing right next to me, too. I couldn’t break the news to her just yet. She was too little to worry.

          “I’m sure that whatever your situation is, that it will be taken care of once we get there,” the way she said it made it clear to me that there was no way that I was going to get out of going to the genetic bank.

          I guess that that will just have to work. No matter how rude she was to me, I was just going to have to let it brush off my shoulders. Right now, Evalyn looked a little scared, but she was doing her best to hide it. How was I possibly going to tell her?

          The lady transported us to the bank, and led me in, with Evalyn following right behind. The worker showed me over to the machines, pointing out one in the middle of the room. I walked over, leaving my sister towards the entrance where she could wait until I was done, and examined the machine. It had a screen on the left, telling me to insert my hand in the hole on the right. I couldn’t help but be nervous, putting my hand into this foreign machine. I knew that Evalyn was watching me though, so I tried to be as strong as I could. I was careful not to hit the multi-colored buttons that instructed the machine. The last thing I wanted was for this thing to mess up.

          I inserted my hand into the hole; lights flickered on, going over my hand. I finally felt a           prick on the side of my thumb. The machine collected my blood and the screen started flashing, telling me it was complete.

          After it was complete, the worker leads me to a waiting room. “Wait here until they call your name. When they do, go into that door over there, and you can explain your situation.”

          I looked at Evalyn, sitting there, so peacefully, without a care in the world. I knew that now was the time to tell her. No matter what happens, she needs to know the truth.

          “Evalyn…?” I hesitated.

          She looked up at me, “Yes, Ava?”

          “I know where mom and dad are.”

          “Where, Ava?” She said, bouncing around in her seat with excitement.