Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

          The shades in my room were pulled up, the sun shining brightly in my face. I grumbled inaudible words, and then rolled over to hide my face from the sun.

          “Oh come on!” Casey complained. “Just get up already!” I grumbled again and stayed exactly where I was. “Fine, then you left me no choice.” I heard her walk out, thankful for the peace.

          I heard her footsteps come back in, so I decided to get up and look at her. When I opened my eyes, she had a bucket of water that she was ready to splash on me. “Hey! Wait I’m up! I’m up! There is no reason to splash water on me!” I exclaimed, jumping out of bed and running to the other side of the room.

          “Never seen you move so fast!” Casey teased, but she was bubbling with excitement about something. “Guess what I did while you were sleeping until twelve o’clock? I went to the advisor and she said that we could go shopping today! Like outside in the real world! Isn’t that cool?” She was so excited about going shopping, but I went all the time when my parents were alive. I’m really not so sure why this is such a big deal.

          “But of course, we have to be prepared for any attacks that the school might send on us.” Casey said this so naturally like it was a normal thing.

          “Attacks,” I repeated, making sure that I had heard her correctly. “Why do they want to attack their students?” My bafflement brought laughter to Casey.

          “It’s kind of like a field trip for us. We get to go fun places and do fun things but we still have to be learning something. For example, you cannot start any fires. That would expose who you really are.” It made sense, I guess.

          “So get dressed we have to be back by six and six thirty the party in the boys’ dorm room starts!”

          I got ready as quickly as I could. There was no way that I would want to waste any time being in this school when I could be out in the real world.

          “So I was thinking,” Casey started, “that maybe we could go downtown, get something to eat and go to some of the shops?” I nodded my head yes.

          “How are we going to get there?”

          “Don’t make fun of me, but I got the coordinates and I can plug them in so that we can teleport there.” She started entering numbers at the top of the grey machine. It was buzzing and locating exactly where we wanted to go.

          “But that is totally not showing that we have powers,” I mumbled but Casey didn’t hear me.

          “Hold onto this,” she said, grabbing a metal bar. Within seconds, we were there, walking in the crowd.

          Downtown really was beautiful. My parents had never taken me to a place this extravagant before. Shops and restaurants lined the streets. So many people were walking around on the side walk, talking on their cell phone or texting.

          The streets were really dead; no cars were passing through, even though there were some parked on the sides of the street.

          Both of our stomachs growled, making us look at each other and decide where to eat. The Pizza Parlor was the closest and since it sounded good to both of us, there really was no problem.

          A small bell rang as we walked through the door, having the cashier look up from the register. “Can I help you?” He asked politely, giving me an analyzing look.