Chapter Five

Chapter Five

          Strong hands wrapped around my body, which I felt subconsciously. By that time, it was too late; I was already dying. “Miss Hamilton!” a voice screamed, but my brain wasn’t functioning enough for me to figure out who it was, or even if I knew that person. “She’s coming to!” Someone yelled from the background.

          My eyes shot open and I started coughing until water poured out of my mouth. Everyone was looking at me except a pair of green eyes and a pair of hazel eyes was missing.

          “Are you ok?” Miss Hamilton asked. I hadn’t even realized that someone had been supporting me.

          “Fine,” I managed before I started coughing up more water.

          “I am so sorry! I never should have given you a scenario of that intensity. You haven’t even learned anything yet,” she rambled, beating herself up over this. “If it wasn’t for my second years, I don’t know what I would have done.” She was shaking her head, unshed tears hung on her eyelashes.

          “What do you mean, ‘if it wasn’t for you second years’?” I asked Miss Hamilton after she dismissed the class so that she could give her immediate care to me.

          “I’m not allowed to enter the scenario.”

          “Why?”

          “The maker and enchanter work together to make the props. Neither one can go on the creation that they made. It is just part of the way that everything works.” I nodded my head in understanding.

          “I really am sorry that this happened. I never meant for you to get hurt. I’m not really sure what I was thinking, giving untrained first years such a demanding scenario. Do you want me to take you to the hospital wing?” She asked.

          “No, I think I’m going to be ok,” I said, smiling weakly. Going to the hospital wing was something that I wished to avoid, especially on the first official day of school.

          “Well at least it is the end of the day so you have the rest of your time to relax. If it wasn’t for Jared….” She trailed off her voice trembling.

          “What did Jared do?” I asked, looking at her intently for an answer. She didn’t answer me, which I assumed was because she was near to tears. “I’ll see you in class tomorrow,” I said, struggling to get up.

          “H-H-Here, let me help you,” she stuttered, getting up and giving me a hand. It was evident how worked up she was over all of this. “I have never lost a student. Most teachers that teach in the arena have, but I haven’t, and I almost just did today. What is the matter with you?” Miss Hamilton mumbled to herself. Clearly, this was not meant for me to hear.

          I walked out to have people staring at me. Great, I thought to myself. They started to whisper about how I almost died and probably some other rumors that weren’t true. It wasn’t exactly my fault that I nearly died. I was supposed to be saved, not drown in water.

          “Oh my gosh,” some random girl that I had never seen in my life before said as she came up to me. “You are the girl that Jared Buelle saved. JARED BUELLE! Do you know how lucky you are?” She gushed.

          “No, I’m sorry, I don’t. Nearly dying is not worth being saved by JARED BUELLE!” The way I said his name was mimicking her tone. “Next time you are in a life or death situation, I hope that you don’t come out as lucky as I did.” This earned me a vicious glare, but it got her off my back.