Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

          “Ava! Ava please don’t let them take me! They are going to kill me! Ah!” She screamed as I watched her being taken away. It wasn’t physically possible for me to move. I was tortured to sitting there and watching her scream and struggle and call out to me for help that I couldn’t give her.

          “You are letting her die! You are killing her just like you killed me!” Jonathan’s voice boomed. “Don’t think that you can escape me.” His voice sent chills down my spine.

          My legs started to run, which I didn’t think was such a bad idea, but I wasn’t controlling anything that was going on.

          “Ava! Please don’t!” My little sister’s voice pleaded. They were about to drop her in a huge tank of water.        

          “You can die just like we tried to kill your sister.” The evil henchmen said. “And you know what, she ordered for all of this too. Your sister wants you dead.” Her little eyes got all wide and her nose got scrunched up like it did when she’s trying to think.

          Big tears streamed down her face. “Ava wanted me dead? I don’t believe you!” She screamed, but it was clear that she was only fighting back.

          “Don’t believe it! I would never want that for you!” I screamed, louder and louder each time but she never was able to hear me.

          They dropped her into the water and she started to squirm. She was scared and helpless. The worst thing was that as I watched this, I knew that there was nothing I could do, but there was no way for me not to see this. Even if I closed my eyes, it was to no effect. I could still see everything.

          “See what you have done? All you had to do was sign a contract! Just a contract and you would have saved your sister’s life; spared the life of an innocent person.” Jonathan’s voice boomed and it was all I could do to keep from crying.

          “Don’t listen to them, honey.” A familiar voice said as I sniffled. Within seconds, I realized that it was my mother’s voice.

          “Mom,” I said and tears of joy started to fall down my face. She appeared in front of me, caressing my hair.

          “Don’t listen to them, Ava. Your sister isn’t dead. You did not kill her. You saved her, more like. What you did was right.” After she observed me, she wiped the tears from my face. “Don’t cry, sweetie. Everything is going to be fine.”

          “Why haven’t you talked to me before?” I asked, feeling betrayed and alone.

          “Don’t feel those things, love. I couldn’t come and talk to you; it wasn’t right. I haven’t seen your sister. She wouldn’t be able to handle it if I did. I watch over my two kids every day. But I couldn’t talk to you because you were never in the right dream state.”

          “Dream state?” I repeated confused. It was great to see her, honestly. I wished that I didn’t have to care about all of these things right now and just talk to her, but I couldn’t. My mother had always been closer with me than my father, which didn’t really bother me, but I wanted to enjoy talking to her and not ask her a bunch of questions. But I had to come to terms with it, because that was my life now.

          “You were just knocked out and were having terrible nightmares, leaving you vulnerable for other nightmares to form. I can only talk to you in your worsts of states, but unfortunately, I don’t know how long I will have and I am not the one that determines your worst states. Fortunately, this was considered one of them.” She was smiling at me, the smile that could win anyone over on her side…one that she used a lot.