Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

          Settling in was probably the hardest part. I had packed up my stuff and taken the taxi that the first years received, to the home in which Evalyn was staying at. I knew that she would be all packed up and ready, so all I had to do was check her in and check her out.

          After that, I took her to the apartment that I had rented for the summer months with a small fraction of the money that our parents had left us.

          “What do you think?” I asked after we set up everything. “This is going to be our home until school time and then after that we will still probably stay here.” The owner of the apartment had known our parents before, so we were pretty much all set up.

          “I’m glad to be out of that home, Ava. I missed you too much.” Evalyn had been like my right arm ever since I got out of school. She would tell me stories about her home, both good ones and bad ones. Some of them worried me a little bit, but Evalyn assured me that she would be perfectly fine staying there for one more year.

          Every night when Evalyn would go into her room and go to sleep, I would go into mine and cry myself to sleep. I’ve read that it is really unhealthy to do this, but I didn’t really care. I missed everyone so much. It had felt like I had lost a part of me. Yes, I had Evalyn back, which was the best thing in the world, but losing my friends really wasn’t all that great.

          Evalyn didn’t know about me crying every night, which I was glad about. From what she has told me, what she has dealt with and has to deal with is far worse than what I’m going through, yet she is a little trooper.

          “Are you ok, Ava?” Evalyn asked the next afternoon while I was cooking her macaroni and cheese.

          “Of course I am,” I said with a smile. “You don’t have to worry about me.”

          “Are you sure? I hear someone crying at night. Is that you?” Her innocence only made her cuter.

          “Yes, that would be me,” I admitted. For some reason, I couldn’t lie to my little sister.

          “Please don’t cry anymore.” She said, her big chocolate brown eyes starting to well up with tears.

          “I won’t,” I reassured her, pulling her into a hug. “I have the best thing in the world with me. There is no reason to cry anymore.” I said, pulling her as close to me as I could.

          “I’m going to go into the living room and watch some TV.” Evalyn said, her little feet making the cutest noise as they hit the floor. “Call me when the mac and cheese is ready!” Her pony tail swished behind her as she plopped herself on the couch to watch TV.

          As I was adding the cheese to the noodles for my mac and cheese, the doorbell rang. Assuming it was the owner, Bob, I allowed Evalyn to answer the door.

          She was having a quiet conversation with someone, which startled me a little bit. Bob was not quiet at all, but exactly the opposite. “Evalyn, who is it?” I asked.

          I heard her say, “Hold on!” and then took off running to me. “There is a guy at the door that says he knows you. I don’t know if it’s true but I can tell that he really likes you.” I had no idea how she knew that, but I walked over to the door, anyway.

          “Xavier?” I asked, standing in the door way, bemused. “Come in, come in.” I added. “This is my little sister Evalyn. Evalyn, this is Xavier.” Of course now was the time for Evalyn to be shy as she hid behind my leg.

          “Can you go talk to Xavier in the living room while I finish making the mac and cheese?” I asked Evalyn, who bolted right up and started talking his ear off. I knew it wouldn’t take much.

          Quickly, I finished up the mac and cheese and got a bowl full of it for Evalyn. “Lunch is ready,” I called to her and she came running in. Trying not to be noticed, I slipped out of the kitchen and into the living room.

          “Don’t worry!” Evalyn said, “I won’t bother you!” She said sweetly, smiling as she ate her mac and cheese.

          “How have you been?” Xavier asked.

          “How did you find me?” I asked, not wanting to answer his question. “Why did you want to find me?”

          “Ava, I need to tell you something” I thought that it was rather strange he didn’t just come out and say it, since we were sitting right next to each other and had just about as much privacy as we were going to get.

          He slowly pressed his lips against mine. Sparks exploded in my lips from the touch of his. He deepened the kiss passionately. My fingers found a way to his hair and his found a way to the small of my back. I was wrapped up in him. No matter what the government had planned for us, this was right. We were partners.

          As we pulled away, he said, “I love you, Ava.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N

I had tried to get away with posting author's notes, but I couldn't help it on the last chapter! This was my nanowrimo story from 2012 and I plan on participating in nanowrimo again this year.

Yes, there will be a sequel, but no I have not started writing it yet. If you really want me to start writing the sequel message me or comment and let me know because I'm a terrible procrastinator.

I hope you guys liked this one! ;)