Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

          It was my first day out of the hospital and I couldn’t have been happier. The hospital just smelled like death, if death had a smell.

          The nurse gave me strict orders to stay on bed rest for the whole day, which I wasn’t overly thrilled about, but I planned on listening to her orders. Spending the whole day by myself was just what I wanted to do.

          “You must be thrilled, you get to skip out of classes,” Casey said to me as she got herself ready.

          “Thrilled,” I replied back sarcastically.

          “I’ll be back here with lunch later,” were Casey’s last words as she left our room.

          What was I going to do with myself? My homework was all caught up and I had nothing that needed to be done. So what was I going to do, just sit here by myself? What fun that would be.

          “You are never alone,” Pym’s voice said.

Great words of wisdom there Pym, thanks for your help, I thought, shrugging my shoulders. I decided to check my phone, which I am very thankful that I did. My teachers had texted me the work that we would be doing in each of the class if I wanted to catch myself up. This was good. At least I wouldn’t be behind any longer. I couldn’t stand being behind.

          “Oh come on! Doing homework is lame! Don’t you want to talk to me?” It wasn’t like I had that much of a choice.

          “Can’t I just get my homework done?” I whined, not realizing that I had said this aloud.

          Of course, I got no response, so I started my homework. None of it was really hard and I wasn’t challenged by any of my classes and I was in the hardest ones. I guess it makes sense now, seeing that I am a legend.

          Thinking about everything made me stop my homework. It was hard to see myself as someone who would be known by everyone and read about in history books in a hundred years. It’s hard to believe that I am destined to accomplish great things and who knows what else. The legends that you read about in history books are all from different time periods, so none of their knowledge can really help you. You have to go out and discover it by yourself.

          “Don’t think too hard.” Jared teased.

          “Aren’t you supposed to be in class?” I asked, caught off guard that he was standing right in front of me.

          “Yeah, but I thought that you might be bored out of your mind.” His lips formed a small smile. “I know that this breaks the nurse’s orders, but I wondered if maybe you wanted to come down to the cafeteria and get some lunch.”

          When I nodded my head yes, Jared took me by the hand and led me to the cafeteria. “How are you feeling?”

          “I’m good,” I said, looking up to find Xavier smashing faces with some girl in the side of the hallway.

          “That must bother you,” Jared said as we were out of earshot.

          He was right, it bothered me tremendously, but I wasn’t going to admit to that. I’m not really sure why it bothered me, I mean, it shouldn’t have. But seeing him kissing her, well it reminded me of our kiss and…

          “Why would it?” I asked, trying not to sound too defensive.

          Jared just gave me a look, “Go sit down, I’ll be right there.” He said and gave me a gentle pat on the shoulder. It was so loud in there that it made my head hurt. I still wasn’t back to normal and I shouldn’t have been there. If I hadn’t gone, then I wouldn’t have had to see Xavier and his next play toy and I wouldn’t have a horrible headache.