Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

          I don’t know how I managed to do it, but I feel asleep during all of the commotion. Pym and I argued for about two hours about whether or not I could go and make sure my friends were ok, but Pym wouldn’t let me. She wouldn’t let me leave.

          So knowing that Casey and I were safe was as reassuring as it gets. There was nothing else that I could do.

          When I woke up, everything was back to normal. It was almost as though nothing had happened. Pym was gone and Casey said that the alarm was probably just a test. That they wanted to make sure that everything was ok and everyone was ready for homecoming.

          I couldn’t bring myself to tell her that I knew the truth. That I knew that this wasn’t just a test, that someone was really in the school and that they were coming after me. I was the legend that The System wanted for themselves. Being the one that could be used for good or a lethal weapon was not very reassuring.

          “Come on!” Casey said, pulling me up out of bed. “I’m hungry.” Getting up out of bed seemed like the right thing to do. She was only in her pajamas and I was only in mine. The only difference was that I had extremely bad bed head.

          Eating wasn’t an option. After finding out information that I wasn’t quite ready to swallow, eating wasn’t on the top of my priority list. If I’m a legend that means that I’ll be one of those people in history books. That is even if I am a legend. Pym could have been lying.

           “I wasn’t lying,” rang through my head. It was unmistakably Pym’s voice, scaring me even more.

          “Are you ok?” Casey asked me, this time looking into my eyes and examining me. “You have been off for a couple of days now. It isn’t a bad day. Is something wrong?”

          Yes, actually, something was wrong. Some person was out to get me, I was inexperienced in the arena and training for the real world, and I was just informed that I was a legend. But none of this was stuff that I could tell her.

          “Nothing,” I lied and she saw right through it.

          “Tessa, could you come here please?” Tessa sat down next to her. She whispered something in Tessa’s ear, but I couldn’t hear what she said. Honestly, I probably didn’t want to.

          Judging by the look on her face, I could tell that it was something that she disapproved of. “Are you sure? I could just go to the nurse.” Casey shook her head at Tessa and gave her a look telling her to do whatever she was asked to do.

          “Ava,” she whispered to me desperately.

          “What?” I whispered back, causing her to pull me into a hug. When her hands touched me, I felt little sparks. No, not the sparks like the kind that they describe in books when someone meets their true love. These ones were different.

          “What are you doing?” I asked, stepping back.

          “She’s healing you, Ava.” It was Casey’s voice that said this. She gave me a look, one that I could not argue with. She and I both knew that I wasn’t going to have let her do it willingly, and if it will help, then why not.

          “If you’re sick, then this will make you better.” Tessa explained.

          I took a deep breath and pushed everything to the back of my head. All of my problems were not important right now. All that mattered was homecoming was tomorrow and the game and pep rally is tonight.