2: You Need Trouble

His eyes look over me. The intensity makes my heart pound. I'm not much. Average height, brown layered hair, hazel eyes, and small built. Being tiny helps me go unnoticed, but I guess now it isn't much of an advantage.

He runs his thumb over my bottom lip, and my breath hitches as it separates from my top. He moves his hand away and wipes his thumb on his shirt. The blood smears a bit. His eyes don't leave me.

"How is it possible for someone so tiny to be able to beat the shit out of a linebacker on steroids with nothing but a busted lip to show for it?" I become aware of the metallic taste in my mouth then, my heart still pounding. My eyes stay locked with his blue orbs as I shrug slightly.

"Adrenaline and four older brothers." I whisper, rubbing my palms against my pant leg. My hands ache. They are cold and sweaty. It's weird. "If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure my hands are going to be wrecked for a while." He chuckles. It's a nice sound, strained maybe, but nice. I take notice in the bruise forming on the side of his face. I reach up to touch him, but he grabs my hand, looking down at it. His grip is careful, gentle even. It makes me feel warm. I don't like it.

"Yeah, you probably busted a couple knuckles. Remind me to never step in front of one of your punches." He chuckles again. Still strained, but lighter. I look down at my hand, which he is still observing. He turns it around a few times, looking closely at the black and blue blotches that cover my pale knuckles. He sighs, looking up at me again. I become aware of how close we are, and my breath catches in my throat. "You didn't have to interfere, you know?" He whispers. "I'm sure I can take a beating."

I smile at him as I slowly pull my hand from his grasp, reaching to touch his cheek where the forming bruise lies. He winces, but I let my fingers linger lightly against the skin for a moment. His tilts his head to the side, eyes closed. My heart races as I withdraw. What the fuck? His eyes open and he takes my hand again, rubbing his palm over mine easily. "Your hands are freezing." He says. I nod.

"Yeah. I get cold easy." I swallow as my voice ticks slightly. I hope he didn't notice. He looks at me, that intense look softer than normal. What ever normal is.

"Why?" I shrug, pulling my hand away. This is way to intimate. It's freaking me out.

"I'm small. I get cold." He shakes his head, taking my hand again and continuing to warm it with his.

"No. Why did you interfere?" He asks calmly. Why did I interfere? I don't know. I just felt this obligation to. It was impulse. It just happened.

"I.. I don't like to see people get hurt." I don't. I especially didn't like seeing him get hurt. He nods, finally letting my hand slip from his.

"What's your name?"

"Carter Abrenson." I Say firmly. He smirks, taking a step back and reaching into his pocket. He flips open the cigarette pack and places one beneath his teeth, lighting it.

"Cool. I'm River Sinclair." The smoke escapes his lips, the menthol hits me. I breathe it in and swallow the nerves.

"I know who you are." Don't say that, you sound like a stalker. "I mean. Your sort of popular." He shrugs, offering me a cigarette. I decline before he shoves the pack back in his pocket.

"Popularity is a curse. A truly horrible thing. There is expectations and rumors that can explode at any second. It's not healthy for people like me. But I guess sexiness can't go unnoticed." I laugh slightly. Maybe I should have took a cigarette. Maybe it'd calm my nerves. He takes another drag, his eyes staying on me.

"Apparently so." I reply. Then I feel heat rush up my cheeks, did I just agree to him being sexy? Maybe he didn't catch it. I look up at him, noting the amusement in his eyes. He noticed. He most definitely noticed.

"Speaking of which, why haven't I ever heard about you Carter Abrenson?"

"It's just Carter. And I'm invisible." He chuckles again, puffing on the cancer stick.

"I can see you just fine Carter." My name leaves his lips in this odd way, like he's pulling me into him. My eyes lock with his again. Can he tell I'm gay? Is he fucking with me? I take a slow breath. Okay. Just be cool.

If I were cool, I wouldn't be so transparent.

"You know, you are a very awkward person." He states plainly. I can feel another blush pulling in.

"Thanks." I whisper, rolling my eyes. Now he's insulting me? I'm so confused.

"It's not a bad thing. I like awkward people. I think it's cute. So many of these dimwits have an ego bigger than this country, and have nothing to show for it but a title. A label. It's gross." Did he just say I was cute? I shake my head. I'm thinking to much into this.

"I don't like labels." Is all I can think to say. I twist my fingers together and look at my shoes. Okay. So maybe I am awkward.

"Amen." He says as he stomps out his cigarette.

"Why don't you talk to very many people? I mean like. People throw themselves at you, but you ignore them. Why?" Okay so maybe that was a pretty personal question. And maybe it came out of nowhere. But hey, I'm not only awkward. I'm curious too.

He scoffs a little. I probably sound like a stalker. I'm screwing whatever this is up and I know it. I don't like it. "I don't like people. They are cruel and annoying. I don't surround myself with things I don't like, so I don't talk to anyone."

"Your talking to me."

"Yeah, because I have no reason to not like you."

"Okay."

"So your going to be my new friend and I'm going to get you in trouble and ruin your life, but your going to love it."

"But I don't like trouble." I stammer, he smirks again, ruffling my hair.

"Trouble is like cigarettes. After the second or third time, you get addicted. You'll see."

"What if I don't want to?"

"Doesn't matter what you want. It's what you need. And I'm going to give you what you need."

"Why?"

"Because you haven't given me a reason not to like you, and I need to like someone."

________~|~
Picture of Carter to the side or top. He is the official model for Carter, River has no specifics. You may recognize him from Twilight as Jasper, or Finding Carter as Jared. Jackson Rathbone usually plays hostile characters, but Carter is much less of that. He's messed up, yes, but... Well you'll see soon enough. I love you guys! Vote! Comment! Tell me what you think!