9- Shall We, Then?

Song: Lagos to Kampala by Runtown ft. Wizkid. It's up there. ;)

Nwanyieze's POV:

Two days later, Saheed calls and invites me out to lunch with him.

"I'm sorry, Saheed. I'm currently very busy this week and I don't want to make promises only to disappoint you," I say over the phone while working on a crossword puzzle at the back of an old newspaper.

"Can't you spare me even an hour?" he pleads.

"I can't," I say bluntly.

"Aw, girl. Don't play hard to get."

Why would a Minister's son be into me? Is he just wooing me to sleep with me and then dump me? If he wants me in his bed, why can't he just come out straight and say his mind, knowing fully well who and what I am?

Some men are truly mysterious.

"I'm not playing hard to get, Saheed. I'm really busy."

"Are you still mad about that night?"

"I'm so over it," I say with a laugh, remembering how I'd screamed before hitting the water.

"Thank Allah," he breathes. "Look, I must see you before I go back to the States next week. Won't you do me this favour?"

I mentally say, good riddance with my eyes looking up at the ceiling.

"Fine, then. I'll be free on Friday."

"Wonderful, Queen. Just wonderful.

***

Friday afternoon, I'm ready for Saheed to pick me up. I'm a bit nervous because I've never been on dates with guys before. All I used to do was book appointments, go to the designated hotels, and then give my clients the satisfaction they paid for.

I've chosen a simple black and brown Ankara gown that I had made for myself and loved so much because it's free and has deep pockets as a bonus. With minimal make up, brown leather strappy heels and a matching clutch, I complete my outfit. Mama Uju has been out since morning, and so I have to drop Adanna with our neighbours who live on the floor below our apartment.

Someone knocks on the door and Adanna looks up from her colourful building blocks and asks, "Mama?"

"No, love," I say, walking towards the door. I open it to see Saheed, dressed in a dark navy suit, his easy smile on his face.

"Hey, gorgeous. You look so stunning," he says, putting an arm around me.

"Thank you," I reply. I lead him into the living room and he sees Adanna, who is staring up at him curiously, eyes wide with her rosebud lips in a pout.

"And who is this beautiful little one?" Saheed gushes, bending down to scoop Adanna up. "How are you, darling?"

"Hello," she slowly says, not entirely trusting him.

This seems to amuse Saheed, who bursts into laughter. "She's so cute, Queen."

She's eager to get back to her toys, and so she begins to squirm restlessly in his arms, making him gently place her on the floor.

"I'll have to drop her at a neighbour's before we leave," I explain to him. Picking up Adanna's little Indomitables school bag packed with snacks, I take her hand and lead her out the front door. After dropping her off, Saheed takes my hand, gives me a bright smile, and asks, "Shall we, then?"