22- Mammy Wata

Warning: For the Non-Nigerians, this chapter might be a bit difficult to understand. Explanation is below.

Nwanyieze's POV:

He looks surprised.

"What's so funny?"

"You don't know how long I've been waiting for this, Adeyemo Richard."

My voice has changed, grown a bit deeper and it's all I can do to keep myself from laughing more.

"What is the meaning of this, Queen? What kind of play is this now?"

I touch his face. "Wasn't it obvious to you?"

"What?"

"You're the Chosen One."

He frowns, confused. "Chosen for what?"

I turn away from him, shed my coat and let it fall to the floor in a dark pool around my feet. Dramatically facing him again with a swirl, I observe his expression when he sees what I'm wearing underneath. His eyes widen in shock, and then horror.

I'm wearing only a red piece of clothing, which is wrapped around my body. On my arms and legs above my ankles are intricate markings, done with chalk and black marker, swirls and arches and stars and moons.

"Gaze upon your new wife-to-be, Richard. By midnight I will start performing the ceremony of initiation."

"I am not understanding, Queen."

"Are you so daft?" I ask with a laugh. "I came to University of Lagos just for you. You're the perfect husband for me, to rule my spiritual kingdom with me. Why do you think I've been on your mind all this while? Everything was planned!"

I open my tote bag, bring out a cluster of feathers, a small clay pot, some chalk, a bottle of water, a drinking horn and a knife. The knife is more for protection in case he tries anything.

Shifting the rug aside, I draw a circle and other silly meaningless things on the wooden floor, muttering nothings just like I'd seen the dibias and babalawos do in Nollywood movies. I pour the water into the clay pot, raise it up in my hands, and whistle.

Thank you, Nollywood, for instilling fear of rituals in Nigerians.

To my surprise, he begins to plead for his life.

"Shut up, let me concentrate on my ritual," I bark at him. Then out of the blue, I throw my head back and burst into laughter because the situation is so damned ridiculous and I can't believe he's fallen for this.

"In the next fifteen minutes, you will be all mine, forever," I say, widening my eyes and baring my teeth.

"I have a wife and children," he wails, causing me to almost keel over with laughter.

"You won't need them in the marine kingdom. I'll be your everything."

I'm swaying my body, moving to a rhythm only me knows.

He tries to free himself and I hold up the cluster of feathers and knife threateningly at him.

"If you move again, I'll slit your throat and drink your blood, did you hear me?"

He actually whimpers. My heart sings for joy.

I should've been a movie star, I muse inwardly.

I move towards the bed holding the pot and feathers. He recoils, but I ignore this and dip the feathers into the pot, then sprinkle the water on him.

"I now consecrate you with water from the ancient lagoon where my kingdom lies. Tonight, after consummating our marriage, we will project ourselves there for a party. You'll love your new tail. My parents can't wait to meet you. I've told them all about you, Richard."