16- Redemption Song

Nwanyieze's POV:

I'm actually having fun.

"More chicken suya?" Maduka asks me.

We are resting underneath a rented raffia hut after frolicking at the shoreline. Noel rests on Maduka's chest, busy with a squishy ball he has given her. Each time she squeezes the ball, it lets out a squeaky sound that makes her squeal in glee. Max and Prince are busy on a mat spread on the sand, playing a racing game on Maduka's iPad.

"Sure," I reply, reaching out to take a spicy chicken wing from the newspaper wrap.

"They're not even as good as the University of Suya," he says.

Remembering how pepper had gotten into his eye and how he'd loped off without water to clean it off, I laugh.

He frowns at me. "Don't tell me you still find my predicament funny even now."

"Okay, I won't tell you."

"Onion breath."

"Pepper eye."

We are silent for a moment before bursting into a fit of laughter. Noel is startled at first, raising her head from Maduka's chest to look up at him. But she recovers and returns her head to that position, only this time she seems to concentrate with her ear right there as she listens to his deep laughter rumble in his chest.

Suddenly I wish I could do the same.

"Kaka, thunda," she says, clapping her hands.

"She has likened my laughter to thunder," he tells me before fondly kissing her cheek.

"More?" she asks, small hands holding his head in place.

"Of course, sweetheart," Maduka replies and gives her three more smacking kisses on her cheeks.

I watch the scene with a smile on my face, remembering the times I thought the world was such a wonderful place, full of rainbows and nice people. How lovely I must have looked at her age, full of laughter and brimming with innocence.

"How's school so far?" Maduka asks.

It takes me a moment to snap out of my thoughts, process his question, and come up with an answer.

"Educative?" I ask/reply.

He chuckles and asks, "What are your plans after studying?"

"Going into journalism big time, of course."

What I don't tell him is that I plan to start a magazine focusing on women of colour and bringing to light abuse on children, especially girls, and press the government to severely punish the offenders. I plan to spread love amongst females and strengthen the bonds between us, increasing the level of girl power.

"You can do it," he says, startling me.

Did I say my plans out loud? I wonder. "What?" I ask.

"You can do whatever you set out to do. You're smart, intelligent, beautiful and sassy. Plus, you seem like the type to get whatever you want. You'll flourish in your chosen field. You are, after all, a queen. Our names follow us."

He has no idea how much his words have touched me and how much they mean to me. I'm even surprised at myself.

"Thank you," I say with a smile. Suddenly I need to get out of that hut. "Oh," I say, holding up my small cell phone, "I've got a phone call."

I get up and fly out of the hut. Alone at the shoreline, I let my tears fall freely.

You can do it.