64- Green Light

Song- 'Joromi' by Simi (and any other song you think suits this chapter)

Maduka's POV~

The conference goes smoothly. Agatha is seated at the front row, giving me an encouraging smile the whole time I give my presentation. It greatly calms down my nerves and distracts me from thoughts of the scene that occurred at the hotel reception.

"That was great," she tells me during our lunch break. "A very interesting presentation and innovative suggestions. I hope the government takes you up on your offer for consultation. We really need to focus on agriculture if we want our economy to move forward these days."

"I hope so, too," I reply, absently gathering the remaining grains of fried rice in the centre of my plate.

"But I could sense that something was disturbing you. Is all well, Maduka?"

"Not really."

Agatha and I have become close over the course of last month. She has been really helpful in her suggestions on dealing with my newfound fame, and has been connecting me to like minds in the agricultural field. I sense that she cares about me more than is required for friendship, but neither of us has discussed it.

"Care to share?"

"Is it possible, that I can be someone's ex but the person isn't my ex?"

She is silent for a full minute, processing this question while touching one of her slender kinky twists. "So that's what you meant when you said it was complicated, huh?"

I shrug, a sort of confirmation.

"Has she told you it's officially over?"

"Does running away from me, changing her phone lines and address count?"

And being with someone else?

"Wow, that's so final." She widens her eyes behind her gold-rimmed spectacles.

"Wow, comforting."

Her hand rests on my arm. "Come on, Maduka. I didn't mean to sound so blunt. But if she moved without telling you, it's a sign she's trying to forget you."

"Forget me," I echo, my mind taking me back to the reception room, where I had so badly wanted to touch her, but was wary of how she would take it. The way she had screamed at me that night still haunts me.

Seeing Nwanyieze had been like a blow to my gut; it had given me a bittersweet feeling. At first I couldn't believe it. But it was her, petite and beautiful in that yellow sundress I love, standing right there. I like to think that if I hadn't looked more closely, I wouldn't have recognised her. But I know that is a lie. I know I am still connected to her in a way I can't explain.

She had looked different, with the make up and hair... She had looked much like the women Saheed preferred. When she'd started to back away from me, and I had almost followed, she had said, "No. Please don't," in a low voice. Her eyes had filled with tears suddenly, and I had frozen right there...

It was when she walked out the door that I could finally move, and Saheed had appeared.

"You've spaced out again," Agatha tells me, gently shaking my arm.

"I'm sorry. A lot on my mind lately."

"You'll be fine las-las," she reassures me.

I laugh at her statement. "I hope so."

"Hey, how about we relax somewhere this weekend? Say, Elegushi beach?"

"Hmm. That sounds like a nice idea. I'm definitely up for it, Agatha."