66- Happiness

Song- 'Ire' by Adekunle Gold (attached above).

One year later...

Maduka's POV~

"Sir, look this way, please."

I obey the photographer, turning my head in his direction and giving a small smile. Hearing a series of clicks, my smile falters immediately, but seeing Agatha giving me a thumbs up from behind the man makes me rearrange my face.

"That will be all, right?" Agatha asks him.

"Yes, madam." He turns to me, looking excited, and says, "I'm grateful you could grant us an interview. The National team can't wait for tomorrow's papers."

We exchange handshakes and he leaves with his crew of about five people.

"I'm glad that's done," I say, loosening my tie the moment the last crew member shuts my door.

"They've been reaching out to you for months, Maduka. The National is one of the leading newspapers in Nigeria. I can't believe you simply ignored their requests because you're not in the mood!"

I sigh and move to my fridge for a bottle of water before settling on the couch in the sitting area of my newly refurbished office. The past year has been good to me, bringing in more profits than I expected. My fame has taken me from one conference to another as an honoured guest, giving me the opportunity to travel to different countries, especially in Africa. I am still jet lagged from my return from South Africa the previous day.

"What's wrong, Maduka? Are you okay?"

"Yes. Just really tired."

"You have the whole day off now. Go and rest, workaholic. You're doing a lot."

I give her a side look. "Says the person who dragged me out of my house for an interview by 9:00am today."

"You have to admit that was long overdue na."

I sigh again.

"You've sighed like twenty times now."

"Really?"

"Yes. Really. Something's upsetting you."

"Agatha, discussing it makes me uncomfortable."

"It's Nwanyieze. It's been Nwanyieze for a year now."

"I can't help it. Everyday, I wonder how she's doing. I wonder if she's alright. I have searched for her. Her guardian has moved out from Shomolu. I can't find her on social media. Agatha..." I notice the look on her face and trail off. "I'm sorry this is not what you want to listen to."

Although she insists that she's fine with being friends, it is clear that she is harbouring hope that I will one day take up a romantic relationship with her. I have been completely honest with her about that aspect, and while I enjoy her company on a platonic basis, I was willing to end everything if she felt too uncomfortable with me because of rejection. But Agatha had been persistent- although she reduced the phone calls, visits and outings.

"Have I ever complained?" She asks with a bright smile.

"It feels unfair," I murmur.

She shrugs and picks up her bag from my desk. "Life is never always fair. I have an appointment on the island. See you when I see you, Farmer."

The nickname always makes me laugh. With a kiss on my cheek, she departs in an apparent haste, which I know has been facilitated by my mentioning of Nwanyieze.