37- Now Or Never

I'm stuck between the cliff and the sea, and Maduka is both.

I don't want him to go, but I know that having him has a high chance of leading to disaster. The way he just led me into this, the way I willingly followed even when he gave me a choice...

He whirls me through a series of activities: trips to the beach, lunch dates, evening strolls and warm cuddles in his home while watching movies. He is patient; so patient it amuses me. Gifts show up at my doorstep almost every week, from dresses or shoes with my accurate size (I never told him), to books, to flowers (Mama Uju always anticipates them because they smell so nice) to cards with quirky, handwritten poems and jokes. I enjoy every moment, but at the back of my mind it feels like a time bomb is ticking away the seconds till the apocalypse.

My prostitution job is temporarily forgotten; I haven't seen Opebi since that night I locked a potential customer up in his hotel room and ran off. Mama Uju is happy for me, being a former prostitute herself.

"I'm opening a shop at Balogun market," she announces one afternoon in our sitting room. I'm just finishing the elaborate lunch that Maduka has sent me from one of those posh food deliveries. The day is hot, and I returned from school to find the surprise.

"Congratulations, Mama," I reply, rising from one of the couches to hug her. "What are you selling?"

"Human hair extensions. It's still the craze now oo. Especially these lace closures. They bring in good money, and you won't have to go to that bar to work at night. We will put hard days behind us."

"Can we, really?"

If there's ever a person who knows my pain, it is Mama Uju. When I was homeless, she took me in. She sees me as her own daughter.

"Nwa, there is a bright future for you. You're not inferior to others, and you deserve the best just as any other girl does. We have gone through the worst, but Adanna won't. We will raise her with an honest living."

"Mama, what about Maduka?"

"He should know. And no one should should tell him, except you."

"He will leave me."

"What is yours will be yours. Look at me; I thought Nick would stay because of Adanna. But instead, he left me after announcing that he had a family in America. However, I don't regret it because something beautiful came out of our relationship." She smiles at me and runs a hand over my head. "You'll be alright."

We are still discussing her business plans while seated on the floor when a knock sounds on our front door. The man is wearing a uniform, and I can tell he works for a courier service.

"Miss Nwanyieze Okechukwu?" he asks.

"Yes, good afternoon."

"I have a delivery for you. Sign here, please."

Puzzled, I do as I'm asked. The man hands me a package. It is rectangular, wrapped in brown paper. He bids me goodbye and I shut the door.

"What is it?" Mama Uju asks.

"I don't know."

I carefully tear off the paper and scream.

It's a box. With a new phone inside. A brand new Samsung smartphone. Something I've never dreamed of having. Taped to the side of the box is a note.

To hear your voice better, and for you to take selfies of your stunning self. Don't go swimming with this one, though. M.

I can almost picture him in his office and hear him chuckling, the sound deep and vibrating in his chest.