39- I Know She Knows.

Song- Satan be gone by Asa; Wicked games by The Weeknd

Nwanyieze's POV~

I take another step backwards. Saheed steps in, followed by Jide. Maduka comes to stand beside me, sensing my distress.

"What a surprise," he tells Saheed, then gives Jide a nasty look.

Jide looks away, uncomfortable.

"Yes, what a surprise," Saheed drawls. "I came back yesterday and thought I should drop by with Jide to see if you're free for a night out. Turns out you've been quite...busy."

His eyes fall on me, those light brown eyes that make me feel like an antelope transfixed by the stare of a lion. He is dressed in dark blue slacks, a black shirt and black loafers. He has allowed his beard to grow out, so it contrasts with his light skin. A stud glitters on his right earlobe, making him look more dangerous.

"I like your dress, by the way."

"Thank you," I manage to reply without choking. "And welcome back."

"Hardly the sort of welcome I was expecting, but we can't always get what we want, can we?"

I can feel the tension emanating from Maduka- it is like he is coiled tight, waiting to spring at the slightest provocation. He saw me at Quilox with Saheed; that was the night he'd given me a ride for the second time.

However, Maduka offers them drinks. Jide declines, but Saheed graciously accepts and makes himself comfortable on the couch. When I try to move towards the kitchen to get them, Maduka tells me not to bother. I perch on one of the seats in the sitting room while Maduka leaves. Jide follows him a minute later.

No, don't go, I want to say, but I'm already alone with Saheed.

"Nice phone," he compliments with a smile. It is weird, seeing him looking so different and yet the same. His eyes still shine with mischief, but his smile is surrounded by all that facial hair.

"Thank you." All of a sudden I feel cold; all the warmth I've been feeling some minutes ago has ebbed away.

"You truly are full of surprises. But guess what?"

"What?" I try to put up a brave front. Saheed can destroy what I have with Maduka just by snapping his fingers.

"I like surprises. I thrive with them. And they are usually so pleasant."

I shiver. Saheed is the kind of person whose smiles could mean anything, but I'm sure it mostly spells something bad. Maduka and Jide step in with drinks: a bottle of Hennessey, some beer, ice and glass cups.

"You know Nwanyieze, Saheed," Maduka says before seating himself beside me. I feel more secure all of a sudden. In fact, I lean towards him so my shoulder touches his.

"Of course I do," he replies. "I'm still feeling guilty about that night at my party."

My heart skips a beat. The night I was on a job.

Maduka's hand closes around mine. He takes it up to his lips, never breaking eye contact with me, and kisses it. I swallow.

I'm done. Saheed will tell him who I am.

"Love is a beautiful thing," Saheed sighs. "Getting to know each other, flaws and all and still wanting to be together."

Jide has never said a word to me since he got here. He stares at his phone, the walls, the clock; anywhere but me.

My appetite has fled; all I want to do is run away from this house, run to the safety of my room without looking back. I get up to my feet and announce my departure.