13- Scars

Song- Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper.

Nwanyieze's POV:

OK, fine!

I'm actually hungry. I follow him to the little building, where he stands before the row of mallams roasting suya. There's a little crowd, and so I have to elbow my way to stand beside him. The sweet smell of roasted beef and mixed spices makes my stomach grumble and my mouth water.

"What would you like?" he asks me.

"Gizzard dey?" Are gizzards available?

"Sure na." Of course.

"I'd love some gizzards and beef please. Lots of yaji and onions, too."

In ten minutes we are seated at a small table, busily chewing suya and gizzards. Maduka orders for two bottles of chilled Coca Cola.

"Look," he says, showing me his Coke bottle. "It says 'Share a Coke with Saheed.' "

I burst into laughter and I notice him watching me with interest.

"Mine says 'Share a Coke with Chief.' "

"Hey, let's exchange. Saheed is yours, not mine."

Maduka reaches for my own bottle of Coke and I snatch it away. "He's your friend, too!"

"He's more than your friend!"

I like the way he looks when he's laughing. His nose scrunches up like a baby's and his eyes grow smaller with crinkles at the corners. His lips rise up at the corners to reveal strong, white teeth. I notice a long scar above his left brow and absently reach out to touch it.

"What happened to you?"

I notice he doesn't flinch. Infact, Maduka seems to lean into my touch.

"I got it while fighting."

"You don't look like the violent type."

Suddenly his gaze seems to intensify. A corner of his mouth rises higher than the other. "Oh, really?"

"Yes, really. How'd you get it?"

"I can't remember why I even fought."

"I've never fought in my life."

"Despite this your sharp mouth? I'm surprised."

"I had my ways."

He tries to bite off a chunk of suya from the kebab stick, and flinches when some pepper gets into his eye.

"Shit!" he exclaims, quickly getting up and stalking outside. I grab a bottle of water from a passing waiter and run after Maduka.

"I've got water!" I exclaim.

He turns to face me, one eye closed and a hand outstretched. I help him wash his hands first, then stand by while he washes his face.

"Ndo," I tell him as he dries water from his face. Sorry.

"I meela," he replies. Thank you.

"Does it still hurt?"

"Yes, a little. Could you please check to see it there's anything left in my eye?"

Using the torchlight of my small Nokia phone, I check his eye for him. Maduka is extremely tall and has to bend to my level. I hold my breath cautiously so he won't perceive the onions on it.

"It still feels like there's something there," he says.

But I can see nothing! I think, annoyed. I'm running out of breath and my lungs are beginning to burn a bit, but I hang on, bent on making sure his eye doesn't hurt anymore. I'm still thoroughly examining his eye when he starts to shake. When I realise he's laughing, I step back, confused.