52-No Justice

Maduka's POV~

"NO!"

She looks up at me in shock. I shove the tumbler out of her hand. It falls to the ground and breaks into pieces. But it's too late.

It's already empty.

"What's going on?"

I'm trying so hard not to panic. I don't know how to tell her that she has just been poisoned. My eyes are threatening to shed tears, this huge lump has formed in my throat and my chest wants to collapse. I gather her into my arms and scoop her up.

Nwanyieze struggles to free herself, but I hold her in an iron grip.

"Maduka, what's wrong?" Her voice shakes a little.

"We're going to the hospital."

"Why?"

As I shove her into the car and fasten the seatbelt over her, I'm gripped by so much emotion that it nearly paralyzes me.

He tried to kill us. He tried to kill her.

Daa Ndidi is running towards us, her silhouette outlined by the light from the house behind her.

"Wait, Maduka! She is alright!"

What does she mean? Is this some sort of joke?

I've already started the engine when she comes to stand by my side of the car.

"I changed the drinks and the cups Maduka! She is fine! Why do you think I wasted time to get cups?"

"What does she mean?" Nwanyieze demands, impatient with all that has been going on.

"I'm taking her to the hospital."

"Son," my aunt touches one of my hands gripping the wheel. "I promise you, she is alright. Trust me."

I scoff. "Forgive me if I don't."

My tyres screech and dislodge some soil before I back out towards the gate, ramming the back of my car into it and forcing it open.

"Maduka, I'm not-"

"You might have been poisoned!"

She goes silent. After a while, "Your uncle."

"I can't believe this."

"I feel fine, just a little bit tired."

I almost lose control of the wheel. The car swerves on the road and she shrieks.

"Maduka, your aunt said nothing happened to me. I'm fine."

"I want to make sure!"

How can she be calm in this situation?

When she goes silent for a minute, I call her name and reach out to touch her hand. It is cold, a sign that she is actually scared even if she doesn't show it.

"I'm fine," Nwanyieze whispers.

"Talk to me."

"About what?"

"I want you to stay with me."

"Did I ever say I wouldn't?"

"Lately, I haven't been so sure."

Silence.

"Nwanyieze?"

"I'm here."

"Don't go away."

She gives a small laugh. "I'm not dying, Maduka. This is unbelievable. Someone probably tried to kill us. I'm trying to process this."

My mind briefly flashes to my deceased family. I always knew something about their deaths wasn't right. Who goes to bed and doesn't wake up, just like that? And why not one, but two at the same time?